Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: purchasing illustrator?

Hi Albacore, I didn’t think you could upgrade from the educational version, I’ll look into that one, thanks

Pauland thanks for the info, I’m on a recent machine so I could do what you suggested, I’ll look into parallel desktop, does anyone one the forum run Xara products on Mac using this and how do you find it? Other than that I’ll sit tight for a while and see what gives.

Sledger thanks for the link but as Pauland pointed out that version would be no good to me, cheers anyway
    IP

Directly from the Adobe website (http://www.adobe.com/uk/education/purchasing/faq.html
    Quote:
    Student question
    "I'm very interested in buying the Education version of Adobe Creative Suite, but first I want to know if the software can be used to produce work for paying customers once I am working in the industry, or do I have to buy a different version of Creative Suite once I'm working in the industry?"

Answer
    Good news! You can use Adobe Education software (any title!) to produce commercial/professional paid-for work when you leave school, or even while you are in school. In this regard, Adobe does not limit how student software is used. So students can use it to learn and to make money!

(Of course, students must agree to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement — which appears during installation — just as every software customer must do.)
    Quote:
    Student question
    "Is the Education version a scaled-down version? How is it different than the more expensive retail version I see being sold at other computer stores?'

Answer
    The Education and retail versions are virtually identical — we do not modify the software itself. To differentiate the product offering between education and retail, we may remove some clip art, some fonts, or other non-application resources. So really, the only difference is price. Student customers can be assured that this as an opportunity to get the “full version” without paying the “full price”.
    Quote:
    Student question
    "What happens after I graduate? If a new version comes out that I want to buy, do I have to buy the full new retail version or can I save money and just buy the retail upgrade?"

Answer
    You are able to continue to use your Education version serial number when you leave school to upgrade to future commercially priced versions if you want to, rather than having to buy the next “full” version. So you save money now while you are a student, and also after you graduate!
    IP

And you are a captive user of Adobe and will upgrade in the future it's a gain, gain situation. How many people like learning a new programme after they leave college or uni. not many and look how many FreeHand users are still out there.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP