Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Inkscape Vs. Xara

any chance you could let me know exactly what it was you tried Xhris?

I'd like to give it a go as I use inkscape quite a lot and presumably you do not....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    any chance you could let me know exactly what it was you tried Xhris?

I'd like to give it a go as I use inkscape quite a lot and presumably you do not....
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say "it". If you mean what version of Inkscape, then 0.46 (the latest one). If you mean which clipart piece I tried to export then it was I think the fort svg from the RPG section given in the link in an above post. I used default settings to export as PDF. I did enlarge the vector object before exporting though.

I only really use Inkscape when needing to compare how good Xara is compared to other software out there.

ok it was the clipart you used that I was after thanks - sorry if it wasn't clear...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I see, the last post is form 2008. I compared InksCape 0.48.5 and Xara page & Layout designer 11.
    Inskcape is not the last versino. The last in 0.91. Should be 0.49, but developers change numbering method.

Well, both tools a good. But each has some interresant features. For example InksCape has better mapulating with snapping objects to grids, or guides, or other objects.

You can snapping object's bounding box corners, or edges, or midpoints, or centres. Or combination of all this.

You can snap many thing to paths, to nodes..... You can choose to snap only to cusp nodes or smooth nodes or both.....

And many more. That is all, I can remmember at this moment. You have complete control about snapping.
    ==========
    In other hand, text tools in inkscape is very basic. Really basic. Inkscape is almost unusable for any more intensive text work.
    ==========
    I have impression, the working with xara is easier than with inkscape. I can't explain this, but I have impression, the work with xara is a little bit faster and easier.

Aha, what I wish to see in inkscape? Importing xara files. But xara file format is closed, so this is just a dream for now. Aha, about Xara, I wish to see option to import full inkscape SVG to xara. Another dream, maybe?

Ponny

Hi Ponny, it's not a good idea to reopen a thread that hasn't had any post in over 8 years. It's a lot for anyone wanting to follow it to read through 5 pages of posts, and remember both xara & inkscape have been developed a lot of the intervening years.

What issues are you experiencing? I find in the latest version (.91) I can paste between the two using Copy/Paste. Better Xara to Inkscape than the reverse.

SVG's work pretty well too.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host