Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Inkscape Vs. Xara

Inkscape is now offering free clipart graphics, and has become very advanced vector art software.
    http://nicubunu.ro/pictures/rpg/buildings1.jpg

It's got a very user friendly interface, reminding Xara interface and "yummy" buttons.

http://nicubunu.ro/pictures/rpg/highlights.png

Maybe it is possible to export some of the brushes/graphics from inkscape to Xara?

Do you know inkscape? Which is better, Xara or inkscape?

What do you think of that?

Default Re: Inkscape Vs. Xara

I use both. Tough to say which is better. There are some things I can produce with Xara, which I cannot get just quite right with InkScape, and vice-versa......
    I think both hold their own. And yet again, the .svg / .xar issue comes into play.... if one or the other were able to utilize the other's base format.... you would have the ability to use them as "theoretically" one sweet unit
    It is not hard to find, throughout the web, people asking which is better. I just don't look at it that way, they are both just extremely well put together apps, which I fully enjoy using either, or.
    InkScape, just takes a wee bit more persistence and patience to get a hang of, but thankfully, there are plenty of various tutorials online.....
    I think it would be nice to have just as much "end user" documentation on the Xara end, that would be the only area where Xara falls a bit behind

BTW Availor.... is that the new .46 release you are using? I have not kept as up to date as I should and do not know if it has been officially released yet? I guess I should go find out

I haven't downloaded inkscape yet since the last time I've delete it - I should reinstall it - it's got lots of tools like the mesh tool and such

InkScape has the upper hand, only that it is constantly being developed by hundreds to thousands of contributers from all over the world... all who are not limited by the "one company / one goal / one mind" theory. And most who do not require to be paid for their contributions. (this is where the open-source community really shines through)
    I guess we will have to see where the competitiveness goes now that Magix is involved? Will development of Xara lag behind, under the thought that Xara is good enough as it is? Or will they strive to out do InkScape?
    It will be very interesting to see.

I use both too - and would agree - it is not an either/or.

you should check out the 0.46 version Paul - currently in pre-release ['probably final'] 3 - there are some nice new tools
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I remember this thread with some links to video tutorials about Inkscape's new features.

Remi

I haven't checked out Inkscape in awhile. I did find that the ClipArt link on the Inkscape website goes to openclipart.org Perhaps you could use the clip art in Xara.

I found that OpenClipart has a 132mg download of public domain clip art if you want it. Some clipart can be tacky, and I have no idea what's in it, but here's the link: http://openclipart.org/media/downloads
    Last edited by RedWombat; 15 March 2008 at 08:17 PM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

I've invested a lot of time in XaraXtreme. I've also invested money in buying it and using it to earn some dollars. I don't care much if there's an OpenSource alternative that will be updated (read: changed) often because I've made XaraXtreme my choice of drawing tools. CorelDraw, Illustrator and InkScape are all on my system which are used mostly as viewers and/or converters.
    Free clipart is occassionaly useful, however often I need to produce something for a customer which is unique and is 100% relative to their business, so I can't use stock props that already exists.

I can agree with much that your stating Steve. We've probably followed similar paths. But to be honest the last time I compared Xara with CorelDraw was back in the days of Corel Xara and CorelDraw (version whatever) Corel had a "standard" vector drawing of a barn in a winter setting. In Corel it took minitues to render whilst in Artwork it took seconds (I just couldn't believe the rendering time compared to an Acorn Archemedes). I've never used Corel or Adobe since then so it's probably an unfair comparison. Never tried InkScape though I kep intending too.

I don't feel I could fairly judge the differences/advantages etc between these programs as I favour XXP by way of familiarity and usage. I do have Illustrator on my machine but a lot like you I use it as a file convector.

My original choice to choose Xara was it's speed, it's UI and the transparency tools. I've yet to be convinced, even several years down the line, that I was wrong. But I'm open to persuasion.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host