Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Customer Service

Agreed, If your corporate IT support say "no way round it", they are being either uncooperative, obstructive or lazy (or possibly all three). Firewalls are designed to allow assess to legitimate applications.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Corporate networks have very specific policies that limit access to the internet.

If the purchase of Xara Xtreme was authorized through the corporate IT department they should allow access for the program to validate. It may be they have allowed access to the main IP address for Xara.com but not the specific subnet address needed for validation. Contact your IT department for their assistance to update their firewall settings.

If you purchased Xara Xtreme without getting authorization from your corporate IT department you will need to contact them so they can make a determination regarding policy.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    The 'problem' is surely with your corporate firewall not xara.
    I would talk to your system administrator, if this is a legit installation there will be a way of achieving it
    I would agree with the first statement, if the mandatory online activation was clearly mentioned pre-sale.

While this is a legit installation, I'm working in a large multinational corporation, with IT policy administered hundreds of miles away, which couldn't give a whit about my tiny department's software issues. My experience has shown this is not a unique situation either.

We have other "legit" installations, all of which allow for alternative methods of activation. Adobe is a good example. Our RoboHelp installs also require online activation, but failing that, a toll-free phonecall to Adobe support gives us activation information, and we're up and running in 15 minutes or less.

ok

I can see the point - although I still feel the real problem is the attitude of your IT Policy Administrators
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok
    I can see the point - although I still feel the real problem is the attitude of your IT Policy Administrators
    Though of course that's no more inflexible than Xara, if they really won't allow off-line activation.

It's a little odd that they have no automatic upgrading and no automatic bug reporting, but insist on real-time on-line activation.

Will

fairly sure that's only for the download version - when an internet connection is assumed

the CD version is quite possibly different - there will be purchasers who never use the net, perhaps not so many? but some...
    Nothing lasts forever...

From the Xara kb article 2457:
    The CD you receive when you buy Xara3D, Xara Webstyle, Xara Xtreme and (optionally) Xara Menu Maker contains an unlocked copy of the software, so you can install the full version from CD without needing an unlock code. We strongly recommend you install from your CD, and you will only need the serial number printed on the back of the product's case.

right thanks Steve - thought that had been mentioned somewhere
    its never been a problem in the past
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Again - no mention of an internet connection mentioned.

We purchase quite a few apps, and _none_ to date, have mandated a connection as the only way to register. Most simply email you a key and off you go.

Oh, and if anyone from Sales is reading this, I'm STILL waiting for a reply to ticket UJO-410695...

The point Steve J was making is that once you receive the CD version with serial number, you do not need to be connected to the net to continue using the software. It hasn't been mantatory. You may be occassionaly reminded to register with Xara, but this can be ignorerd. I've had to reinstall Xara software after building a new PC or re formatting and as I've already gone through the process previously, I never do it again - I just ignor the popup.