Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Moderator decisions & Attractivity of TalkGraphics

There were a couple of complaints about moderator decisions and also the attractivity of TalkGraphics as a community. So let us start a discussion about these things, in order to talk about the problems and improvement suggestions.

What are the problems in your eyes?
    What displeases you at our forum?
    What can be done better?

The more comments the better.

Remi
    IP

Default Re: Moderator decisions & Attractivity of TalkGraphics

Just a couple of thoughts.
    Of course moderators are human too, so we should expect no less or more than human behavior.
    Alas one persons enthusiasm can be another persons aggression. Some new posters enthusiastic expression is often regarded as aggression by some members. Perhaps some more tolerance is warranted.
    Years ago, some old-timers may remember, some op was asking inane questions and generally making inane remarks. I still do not know if it was a seriously inept person or a troll, but the responses by some members, that I had grown to respect, was atrocious and then result was a highly fragmented community. It did recover a while down the road.
    Maybe if a moderator thinks a discussion is going nowhere they should ask and get an opinion before locking. Of course some threads are clearly out of hand and moderators should not hesitate to lock it.
    Anyway moderators are appreciated, mostly.
    adios
    sunland
    IP

What is a problem and displeases me is when people second guess the moderators and whine about their decisions. I haven't been here for years as some have but I check this forum several times a day and every time I've seen a moderator do something it has made sense to me. I spent 12 years in Yahoo chat which is a mean hateful chaotic place. Yahoo won't take any action unless they can get sued, so the place is a snake pit. This forum is like a paradise compared to that and I will support what judgment calls they make. There are countless forums in cyberspace, if people have a problem with this one they can always find another one. Nuff sed.
    IP

There's very little wrong with the moderation here. Sometimes I'm left wondering why some threads are pulled, but that's a very rare case indeed. Thumbs-up guys.
    IP

Hi,

I think that the name "Talk Graphics" serves the forum well.
    You really can talk and debate here,on so many other fora you must stay On Topic and you cannot discuss to make things clearer to other members/viewers.
    Rarely some topics get closed by the mods,but these are or spam or somebody is getting to personal and/or leaves the subject to much.

Although,like other fora,it's getting a p**sing contest sometimes,but hey there are more roads that lead to Rome,
    The more solutions or ways to achieve the goal,the better.
    As long as somebody isn't pushing or dictating his or her opinion.

At least I find it a refreshing forum that i like to visit much.

Hans
    IP

I don´t contribute very much here, mostly because I´m still learning the program. My experience has been very good, and I always look forward to seeing everyone´s work. The challenges are interesting, and I read everything. As far as the occasional thread where tempers seem to flare--I read them too, even though I often have no idea what they´re talking about

I´d say all in all there is little to change here. And I´ll second the comment made above about many forums being "snake pits."

Just keep doing what you´re doing, and let the occasional "p*ssing contest" wear itself out.

Thanks to all the moderators for their time and their help--but then you moderators only do it for the money, right?
    IP

I appreciate the moderators here, very much. There is a standard to be met, and that is to respect others; no arrogance or condescension. I think anyone can step over the line once in a while, not meaning. I brief reminder to that individual will suffice is he/she is responsive.

I am quite pleased with and appreciative for this forum and those who run it.

ron
    IP

Hi,

I'd like to address an issue I've discovered on my 2nd post to the forum. I'm a professional photographer (over 40 years now) who was recently introduced to Xara Xtreme 4 (long time user of Xara 3D).

I found a sample on one of the forums a week or more ago which someone had posted which allows the user to drag and drop photos onto a Xara file on the top and on the "reflection" - a very nice implementation of some of Xara's 4's new photo features.

I'm a long time user of a presentation slideshow program called XXXXX, in fact I have a dedicated website where I post samples and sell tutorials for XXXXX (I also write numerous free audio visual tutorials) which are available for download on the Wnsoft forum. I created a demo slideshow showing how the Xara creation could be used in a photo show and posted it on the XXXXX forum (XXXXX is the developer of XXXXX) along with a "plug" for Xara Xtreme 4 which I believe is a very nice tool.

I posted a link to the demo on the forum here only to find when I returned that two of your "moderators" had decided my link was somehow "spam". Rather than contacting me to ask, they simply accused me of spam because my website is part of my signature. There was no direct link to my website in my post but a link to a zipped executable slideshow posted on a folder on my site. Clicking on the link simply allows one to download the file and run the slideshow.

I'm quite insulted that I was accused of "spam" simply because my website link appears in my signature block. It's in my signature block on perhaps 20 or more photography sites and other places on the world-wide web.

If this is the kind of reception people get here on this forum with their posts removed and totally unfounded accusations, then I will gladly remove my post and stop promoting Xara Xtreme on other forums as well. Heavy handed action like this is unnecessary and if one must "walk on eggshells" on this forum then I want no part of it.

If this is an honest mistake, then I expect an apology from the two moderators. If not and this is de jure, the let me know and I'll not return...

Thanks,

Lin Evans
    Last edited by RTK; 09 June 2008 at 03:33 AM. Reason: XXXX Spam removed
    IP

The thread in question is here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...228#post261228

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Evans View Post

<snip>
    I'm a long time user of a presentation slideshow program called XXXXX, in fact I have a dedicated website where I post samples and sell tutorials for XXXXX.
    <snip>
    It's in the agreement you agreed to when you signed up to this forum: Do not join TalkGraphics.com to spam. This includes "I've just found this website…" posts, website links posing as feedback requests and other spam masquerading as useful information. If one of your first posts is plugging a website or product you will be banned. Please get involved with the community before you post links.)

Gary and Steve are not so-called "moderators" they ARE MODERATORS...

You have a total of FOUR posts at this forum --- THREE of them plug your interests (including this one).

If this is the kind of reception people get here on this forum with their posts removed and totally unfounded accusations, then I will gladly remove my post and stop promoting Xara Xtreme on other forums as well.
    Thanks for pointing your posts out -- the moderators were giving you the benefit of the doubt -- you didn't even care to follow up on that.

You don't need to remove your posts -- I'll clean it up for for you.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 09 June 2008 at 12:56 AM.
    IP

.. and stop promoting Xara Xtreme on other forums as well.
    TG is a forum run by it's members.
    TG members do not run the Xara Company.
    IP