Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moderator decisions & Attractivity of TalkGraphics

There were a couple of complaints about moderator decisions and also the attractivity of TalkGraphics as a community. So let us start a discussion about these things, in order to talk about the problems and improvement suggestions.

What are the problems in your eyes?
    What displeases you at our forum?
    What can be done better?

The more comments the better.

Remi
    IP

Default Re: Moderator decisions & Attractivity of TalkGraphics

Just a couple of thoughts.
    Of course moderators are human too, so we should expect no less or more than human behavior.
    Alas one persons enthusiasm can be another persons aggression. Some new posters enthusiastic expression is often regarded as aggression by some members. Perhaps some more tolerance is warranted.
    Years ago, some old-timers may remember, some op was asking inane questions and generally making inane remarks. I still do not know if it was a seriously inept person or a troll, but the responses by some members, that I had grown to respect, was atrocious and then result was a highly fragmented community. It did recover a while down the road.
    Maybe if a moderator thinks a discussion is going nowhere they should ask and get an opinion before locking. Of course some threads are clearly out of hand and moderators should not hesitate to lock it.
    Anyway moderators are appreciated, mostly.
    adios
    sunland
    IP

What is a problem and displeases me is when people second guess the moderators and whine about their decisions. I haven't been here for years as some have but I check this forum several times a day and every time I've seen a moderator do something it has made sense to me. I spent 12 years in Yahoo chat which is a mean hateful chaotic place. Yahoo won't take any action unless they can get sued, so the place is a snake pit. This forum is like a paradise compared to that and I will support what judgment calls they make. There are countless forums in cyberspace, if people have a problem with this one they can always find another one. Nuff sed.
    IP

There's very little wrong with the moderation here. Sometimes I'm left wondering why some threads are pulled, but that's a very rare case indeed. Thumbs-up guys.
    IP

Hi,

I think that the name "Talk Graphics" serves the forum well.
    You really can talk and debate here,on so many other fora you must stay On Topic and you cannot discuss to make things clearer to other members/viewers.
    Rarely some topics get closed by the mods,but these are or spam or somebody is getting to personal and/or leaves the subject to much.

Although,like other fora,it's getting a p**sing contest sometimes,but hey there are more roads that lead to Rome,
    The more solutions or ways to achieve the goal,the better.
    As long as somebody isn't pushing or dictating his or her opinion.

At least I find it a refreshing forum that i like to visit much.

Hans
    IP

I don´t contribute very much here, mostly because I´m still learning the program. My experience has been very good, and I always look forward to seeing everyone´s work. The challenges are interesting, and I read everything. As far as the occasional thread where tempers seem to flare--I read them too, even though I often have no idea what they´re talking about

I´d say all in all there is little to change here. And I´ll second the comment made above about many forums being "snake pits."

Just keep doing what you´re doing, and let the occasional "p*ssing contest" wear itself out.

Thanks to all the moderators for their time and their help--but then you moderators only do it for the money, right?
    IP

I appreciate the moderators here, very much. There is a standard to be met, and that is to respect others; no arrogance or condescension. I think anyone can step over the line once in a while, not meaning. I brief reminder to that individual will suffice is he/she is responsive.

I am quite pleased with and appreciative for this forum and those who run it.

ron
    IP

I'll post a couple of notes about what I think so far. BTW, when I say "you", I mean mods on this board in general, not you personally remi
    Here goes:

Basically, it's good that the mods keep this forum tidy. The thing is they overdo it.

- it's hard to criticise mod's decisions: mods always hide behind the statement that "If you don't like the way things are done, you can stop posting". That's not the reason behind your decision, that's merely the representation of the rules.

- unbalanced decisions: you close an entire thread because 1 or 2 members go off-topic and cause it to derail. How would you feel if you were fined everytime for jaywalking? True, it would cause you to cross the street consciously but I doubt every one of you always does this, unless you are robots. Besides, you need to keep in mind that you also punish all other users of that thread who have remained on topic for the mistakes of 1 or 2 members.

- Sometimes a thread has to go off-topic by this much for mods to close it. Closing a thread not only kills the derailment, it also kills the original discussion of that thread.
    A slight derailment and one immediately reads a mod saying the thread is closed because it has gone off-topic. I very much get the idea that this forum is being ruled with an iron fist.

- Besides, there are other ways to fight off-topicness than to close entire threads. Anyone ever heard of deleting OT posts?

I've been in several forums and this is seriously the most strictly ruled of them all, even though the theme of this forum (talking about graphics) is not so serious to warrant such strict control. So IMO the forum standards are not well balanced.
    I'd expect standards that you guys use in moderating this forum to apply to a forum that is about race, politics or religion, not about graphics. If you rule this forum with an iron fist, you will scare off new users.
    IP

Remi, as you've started this thread I'll repost my opinion here;

the forums should be joined together (for example - all adobe software into adobe forum) - when a visitor sees a "busy" forum it persuades a visitor to post. If you put some food in different dishes in different places it won't be the same as if you put everything in one big yummy looking dish
    If you have 4 posts a day in 6 forums - it looks barren. If you have 24 posts in one forum it looks busy and appeal to people post more (no many want to post if there are no previous posts).

That's the main and most important thing that should be changed, in my opinion.
    IP

I'll just completely disagree with Availor. I don't want fewer forums just to have more traffic per forum, I like the forums to have a subject/theme of some sort.

I have never gone looking at individual forums for traffic, my visits almost always start with looking at 'New Posts'.

Please keep things as they are!

Paul
    IP