Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is learning art with Painter a crutch?

Hi, all,

I've got Painter 9, I think, and as far as art skills go, all I can do is pretty much copy a pencil drawing, but pretty good so I'm told. When I did my first acrylic painting it came out so incredibly terrible that I haven't painted since...

So, in order to develop my art skills, and do so inexpensively (without having to keep buying art supplies to mess up on ), would anyone see it as a crutch to just dive right into Painter and other digital tools instead of traditional media?

I plan on ending up using Painter or Photoshop for digital painting, but I just don't know if the typical "paying my dues" with real paint is something that is a must-do.

Is anyone either for or against Painter as a student's main tool/medium to learn on? Any advice or suggestions either way?

Thank you so much,

- A
    IP

Default Re: Is learning art with Painter a crutch?

It would only be a crutch if all you did is paint directly over a photo. Or trace a photo directly (ie... draw over the top of it).

To start this way would be a crutch.

However if what you were copying was to one side then that would be good practice. If you want to improve your skills the only way to get better in any form of painting/drawing is copy from sight, not trace.

I would suggest that you use both traditional and digital media.

Frankly, if you have no experience your first digital picture will probably look as terrible as you say your first traditional painting was. Painting digitally does not mean you will suddenly be brilliant. It's a tool and will only get you so far.

Expect your first, second, third etc pictures to be bad... but like anything, the more you practice the better you get.

If using Painter encourages you to practice/play then go for it!

I would add though... if you don't have a pen/tablet and are intending to use a mouse.... using a mouse with Painter is like trying to draw with a potato - not the best way to learn. Either get a tablet or start with traditional media.
    Last edited by Fes; 11 March 2008 at 05:38 PM.
    IP

Thank you!
    IP

Is anyone either for or against Painter as a student's main tool/medium to learn on? Any advice or suggestions either way?
    I am all for it. If you don't believe me ask Ryan Church.

http://www.ryanchurch.com/index.htm
    IP

all I would add is - try to learn to draw with a pencil [or a pen] - because whatever medium you choose to work in - and that choice is yours - there will be times when you want to draw something you see in front of you when there are no computers handy - relying on memory just isn't the same [for most of us] - and photographs are not what you saw in your head

oh - and a bad drawing is only a very good drawing at an early stage in the process - it happens all the time, no matter how good you are
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP