Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Dodge? Burn?

Default Dodge? Burn?

Hi ti all!

May be it's really stupid, but I'm searching in Painter 8 for some tools they are called in Photoshop:dodge and burn, but can't find anything, so is there an equivalent for this tools in Painter?

thx!
    IP

Default Re: Dodge? Burn?

Have a look at the brush group called 'Photo', which have a dodge and a burn brush. They're not as good as dodge/burn in photoshop (tends to really over saturate/pixelate the colours if you aren't subtle/delicate about it) , but it's the best Painter 8's got. I think. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    IP

true dodge and burn are photographic procedures not painterly ones, they darken/lighten [whichever way round they are - I forget] according to exposure during film processing - photoshop's tools mimic this.

the brush tools in painter as far as I am aware just take the name but work a bit differently because they are for painting, not photo-correction

so I think Fes is right - but there may be other ways of doing it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Dodging lightens / Burning darkens and saturates

SteveJ is correct about the photographic origins & usage of those terms, Bill Taylor (Soquili) helped me understand them better in an older thread.
    However it can be reasonably argued that though the process is not really a 'painterly' one, the digital form of dodge'n'burn is applicable to any lit-pixels.
    IP