Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

im using painter 7, and i would like to know, how to paint over a texturized surface (one of those amazing paper textures). I tried change the media, but the result i got its like to paint over a glass board (or over my monitor screen) not texturized. Im not using a wacom tablet, im using a Genius easy pen tablet (ok, no one is perfect), it has not a sensitive pressure feature like wacom.

Is there any way to start painting over a canvas texture, and see it?
    Im not achieving the desired results because my tablet is not pressure sensitive?

Does someone could teach me how to achieve these results (doing some kind of adjustments inside painter), step by step?

Thanx

SCopey
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    IP

Hi,

im using painter 7, and i would like to know, how to paint over a texturized surface (one of those amazing paper textures). I tried change the media, but the result i got its like to paint over a glass board (or over my monitor screen) not texturized. Im not using a wacom tablet, im using a Genius easy pen tablet (ok, no one is perfect), it has not a sensitive pressure feature like wacom.

Im not achieving the desired results because my tablet is not pressure sensitive?

Does someone could teach me how to achieve these results (doing some kind of adjustments inside painter), step by step?

Thanx

SCopey
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    IP

Hi,

First, read the Painter 7 User Guide, Chapter 4 Painting, especially the section named "Setting Basic Brush Controls", but the whole chapter will help you understand more quickly how to use Painter7 brushes.

You should be able to paint with the appropriate existing brush variants or with brush variants you set up yourself, and see the Paper texture. Basically, any brush variant for which the Subcategory includes the word "Grainy" interacts with the Paper texture to one degree or another. How much it shows Paper texture also depends on the Grain setting.

You really need to read the User Guide as it will explain things much faster and you can always refer to it again when you need to.

Also, you won't be able to help learning which brush variants interact with Paper texture if you spend time using them.

Good luck,

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links Page
    Online Painter Classes Open for Enrollment at TutorAlley.com
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SCopey:

Im not achieving the desired results because my tablet is not pressure sensitive?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Every time you start Painter you need to to Preferences> Brush Tracking to set up the pointing device.

Since your pen works the same as a mouse you need to use the Brush Controls: Mouse subpalette to adjust pointer inputs used in the Expression section. (Sometimes it's better to shut off some Expression behaviors when using a mouse.)

You'll need to keep an eye on the Opacity and Grain sliders on the Controls palette. Grain has to be adjusted until texture appears. Some brushes don't use Paper intentionally (the brush sub-method used is one that does not react to paper). You can change this, but look for an adjoining brush that does what you want first. (Note also that some brushes behave in an inverted fashion on the Grain slider, so try the whole range if you're not getting anything.)

Finally, note that Painter incorporates the texture effect within the brushstroke itself. You don't paint "over" a texture, you paint _with_ it. There are also filters to apply texure, when needed.

Doug Frost
    IP

Default Re: Painting over canvas textures using Painter 7

SCopey its fluid/Dominick, longtime man, hope your ok, get in contact with me.

Check my profile info for my email here http://www.talkgraphics.com/member.php?u=15932
    Last edited by fluidnyc; 28 December 2007 at 06:50 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Painting over canvas textures using Painter 7

It's a painting of a girl sitting up, in a white satin dress with blue trim. I believe, a garland of flowers decorates her body and there's a blue parrot/coca teal balanced on her left hand, and a small brown lap dog towards the bottom of the painting. I spent hours sketching this in high school, but go figure that I'd take down the name of the piece. The French artist, Nattier...I was inspired by a painting of his, but I don't know the title. Do you have any idea?
    IP