Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Default PDF export and embedding fonts

Months passed by, and here I am again

The good news: Finally I've managed to install and run Xtreme 3.02.781.

The bad news: I'm having trouble with the PDF export. First let me say that the PDF export is absolutely fantastic, however, there are some serious flaws...

I have tons of Type 1 fonts, and of course I would like to have them embedded. So I check the option in the export dialog, but then X warns me that the fonts are copyright protected and won't be embedded.

Huh? What's going on here?

As much as I understant the copyright issue, that means that some very intelligent hacker **might** extract the embedded fonts from the final PDF, I don't undertand why I can embed the copyright protected Type 1 fonts if I use Acrobat Professional to create the PDF! It **does** embed all copyright protected fonts!

OK, now you might say: fine, if you are going to generate a PDF/X file for printing, everyhting is fine. Correct, but this option forces me to generate a CMYK file, meaning all RGB TIFF images will be converted to CMYK, losing a lot of color space - which I absolutely need to appear on the special paper. As long as my intent is printing with a 'real' offset printer, it's ok with me, but: I am printing to a digital printer that requires RGB if I want to have my photographs printed with vivid colors in the sRGB or ECI color space!

I'm only using Acrobat to print my photographic books, so it would be fantastic if I could achieve my goal with Xtreme and completely abandon Adobe from my machine (the pricing policy for upgrades it hilarious and totally absurd!).

Questions:

A. Could someone from the Xara team explain to my why the 'original' does embed copyright protected Type 1 fonts and Xtreme not?

B. Any workaround in this case?

If not: is anybody using the Acrobat plugin 'Imposer Pro'?

Finally: can I just uninstall the fu**ing movie player Xara installs on my machine without asking me - without destroying any other players because of common *.dlls?

How can I uninstall or UNLINK the pesky 'Picture Editor'? I'm working very fast, so many times I issue a double click and the damn Picture Editor opens up - quite annoying with the hughe 130 Megapixel images I use for my prints!

Enough questions and ranting for today. Maybe the Xara team or some savvy users here can give me a hint... or even remove the restricted font embedding <sigh>.

A kingdom for a working solution!

--------------------//--
    working with Windows is like navigating a submarine: as soon as you'll open the windows the trouble begins
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Default Re: PDF export and embedding fonts

Can't help with the font embedding issue as I have the same problem however as far as the picture editor goes in Options>effects plugins>edit bitmaps with this program - I just link it to something that won't open anything, not even a window telling me it can't open something and that little aggravation goes away. A simple command to cancel the double click would be better in the future.
    Derek

I didn't think Xtreme 3.02.781 had this facility?

Derek, your trick doesn't work - I don't have this option in the Plugins & Effects menu.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

As mentioned...
    As far as I recall the option to designate a bitmap editor was introduced with version 3.2 last July

Sledger, I only remember that this installation routine uninstalled a previous version, and I don't have another one to do a comparison.
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Yes sorry I'm not much help. If you don't have the later versions where there's a choice of Photo Editor, you're stuck with XPE I'm afraid.

There may be a registry tweak, but it's late here so I won't look just now.

Hi Jens,

not sure, why it's not possible to embed copyright protected Fonts, but there is a workaround for such things:
    Within the PDF export dialog there is the "Convert text into shapes" option on the tab called "Objects". This should convert each font into shapes without further copyright issues.

Buena suerte mi amigo
    Remi

btw: There was a short comment from Xara in the last Xara outsider :
    "Look out next month for some Xtremely interesting news about new versions...."
    Therefore I would wait a week or two (or three ), before updating...

You have a point of course Remi.
    I have found that converting to shapes *before* exporting to PDF more succesfull. Using the PDF export option 'convert text to shapes' has on a number of occasions failed to render all fonts.

I understood jens comment "I would like to have them embedded" as having a purpose. Perhaps the recipient of his PDF's needs to edit the text?
    In this instance, converted text would not be useful.

Yes the Xara Outsiders' hint at interesting things to come will certainly be anticipated by many I'm sure. Whether this is announcing an upgrade or a new version, it will certainly be up for discussion once announced.
    We'll all have to *stay tuned* as they say

Hi Remi,

well, I know I can convert the fonts to shapes/lines, but that will blow up the file size between 3 and 10 times of the size of the PDF.

Another drawback of converting the text to lines would be that nobody could perform a last minute text editing in case there is a typo in it.

Thanks for the info about the news - I'll check it in a couple of weeks - usually I don't have the time to read the 'Xara Outsider'
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--