Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: DXF import

I use an old program for drawing printed circuit boards which has output in DXF-format.
    Once drawn, I use Xara for post-precessing.
    To get the drawing into xara I first has to import it into autocad and export it from there in .WMF format.
    Xara in its turn will accept .WMF drawings.
    Has anyone a better method for doing this rather laborious work?
    A small convertion program should be great.
    By the way, the 'SPRILIZER' program from an other topic "easy spirals with xara' also exports DXF files, it would be great to import these in xara.

Manuel

I use an old program for drawing printed circuit boards which has output in DXF-format.
    Once drawn, I use Xara for post-precessing.
    To get the drawing into xara I first has to import it into autocad and export it from there in .WMF format.
    Xara in its turn will accept .WMF drawings.
    Has anyone a better method for doing this rather laborious work?
    A small convertion program should be great.
    By the way, the 'SPRILIZER' program from an other topic "easy spirals with xara' also exports DXF files, it would be great to import these in xara.

Manuel

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I wish Xara would look at implimenting a dxf import. It would make developing architectural illustrations much easier. Good CAD operators are fast - whereas developing all the same vectors in xara is a slug. I've worked with wmf files but it leaves much to be desired.

A dxf import would make xara more useful in offices that use CAD. A HPGL-type import might be nice too for the same reasons.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I would also applaud the addition of DXF import and would suggest that DXF export be added at the same time. Another very nice feature for me would be the addition of active dimensions as drawing components.

I evaluated several drawing programs before selecting CorelXara / Xara X and one feature that I really liked in a competitor (Deneba's Canvas) was the dimension facility. I decided that I liked the usability, speed, and stability of Xara so much better than Canvas that I could do without the automatic dimension tool and just draw in my own as necessary. It sure would be nice to have my cake and eat it too, though!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It should not be a big problem for XaraX to implement this filter but I'm not a programmer. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I believe that it would have limited use but useful just the same.

Obviously, XaraX would only have to deal with the 2D component.

This could be quite useful for many XaraX users, would be users and open up new possibilties.

I know this is somewhat off the intended design purpose of XaraX but still can't help but imagine that such a filter would be nice to have yet not too intursive. DXF has become quite common now.

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!