Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xaralx article

Default Xaralx article

I've recently started to help produce the pclos magazine. So if anyone cares to write an article on xaralx for the mag I'll try and get it into the next edition of the magazine. Any positive article on why the Linux community needs to take more interest in using and developing xaralx would be good.
    Even a small howto. Lets try and get some more good publicity for this programme before it dies on the linux community.
    IP

Default Re: Xaralx article

Things are not lookin' up, eh?

frank
    IP

Are you asking for someone to write an article about open source software for your magazine for free?

Have you asked the Developers?
    IP

Steve, Dai is trying to promote the use and hopefully further development of the Linux version of Xtreme.

He has created several YouTube video tutorials demontrating how easy the program is to use.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Dai,
    I an also a PCLinuxOS user and a member of the PCLOS community, including the IRC chatrooms, #PCLinuxOS and #PCLinuxOS-Support on Freenode. I am just now looking at Xtreme to see if it is possible for me to use this application to illustrate my volunteer Engineering work and my Science Fiction Novel. I am also looking at GIMP, Blender, and QCad as a replacement for Autodesk's Autocad and other proprietory vector graphics software. I would be happy to work with you on these projects. I suggest, however, that we do discuss this on the freenode IRC channel #PCLinuxOS. Linux need so viable vector graphics software but it has to be very much able to communicate directly with all flavors of engineering graphics. This means it needs to read and write to the .dwg and the .dxf file formats.
    IP

Hi guys. I've been given the opportunity to do the layout for PCLos magazine for the March and April issue not sure what's happening after that with me and the mag. So if anyone is interested in doing an article I will get it in for the next issue in April, the March issue got sent to the editor yesterday.

Yes we are trying to promote XaraLX to the Linux community as we think this project deserves more recognition from us and the community in general.

I've just finished creating another video from one of the tutorials on the Xara site. I'll post notification as soon as it's uploaded.
    IP

What sort of articles are you looking for specifically? Anything you would like have discussed directly?
    IP

Any thing that promotes Xara in a positive way. Even if it's why the developers or new ones should get involved. OR any article about XaraLX
    IP

The thing is... it has been rather difficult to get any devs to do anymore work on xara for linux. And we need to show people this is a great app.
    It is very similar to inkscape in some ways, but has some features which inkscape does not, (and vice-versa)
    Often, you can achieve a certain look that you just can't seem to get using inkscape.
    It's also nice to have another "vector" app for the Linux platform

The only problems so far, is many people citicize it rather harshly and go on and on about inkscape.. Why?? I don't know.. it's just what people do... like it's this huge competition. But, It's not... it's just a different vector app, and a darn good one too.
    People talk about "scalability" and other such things... but, why all the commotion?

What we need... is not only someone who is really good at "creative writing" and really knows how to get the point across... but also someone who is experienced using xaralx
    I am not a very good technical writer. and this is what is needed.
    It is difficult to track down what few independent devs who were, working on the app, only a few short months ago.

I think the fact that each new release the made, they were bombarded with complaints from users about what doesn't work and no offers to help, didn't do much to keep them interested.
    IP