Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Wishlist; Import and Manipulate 3D models

This may be "over the top", but since XaraXtreme has a PRO version, I think this would be a candidate for a Magix sponsored plugin. The only thing I would add is the ability to handle Xara3D as well.

I think this type of integration could be the wave of the future for graphics programs.

http://www.aecbytes.com/tipsandtrick...photoshop.html
    Not only are you allowed to import a 3D object, but manipulate it. Perhaps Magix could enhance the plugin capabilities by storing the manipulations using XML coding so you could Undo them (similar to the way the Xara Picture Editor saves changes to photo edits).

John
    Last edited by jclements; 01 March 2008 at 06:31 PM.

Default Re: Wishlist; Import and Manipulate 3D models

Great suggestion,
    More XX - X3D compatibility would be excellent.

Also X3D could do much much more without having to loose it's concentration on text.

Anas

I know that Ramwolff (Richard) has been asking for years that support for import and export of the .obj 3D file format be added.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'll second (or is it third) that! A 3D illustration package with all the useability and flexibility of XaraXtreme? Heaven!

Mike

Got my vote too!
    Anton

Why? What are you going to support? Texture mapping? 3D lighting and shading? Shadow-casting? Reflection/refraction? I firmly believe in horses for courses and the proper place to manipulate 3D objects is in a 3D application. I think its a dumb-arse inclusion in Photoshop and would be even dumber for Xara. [You did notice that the linked article was sponsored by Adobe, right?] If you want to composite 3D and other elements in Xara, it takes no effort to render your 3D scene with an alpha channel and import it, although its usually easier to render a composite image straight out of your 3D application.

If you want to play around with this stuff, there is an excellent 3D Camera Tracker called PF Hoe [www.pfhoe.com] that starts at around 49 pounds. It doesn't just work on stills, but with movies. You can get into pro-level 3D for free with Blender [www.blender.org]
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 05 March 2008 at 03:19 AM. Reason: error in urls (close sq bracket inside tags)

Personally, I think 3D integration in Xara would be a huge waste of time and money.

Anyone wanting a 3D image brought into a 2D package will just make a render and import it. Even the mighty Adobe with all their resources have only just seen fit to do it. It's a real niche market even among those who do 3D work. I'll bet most 3D professionals will prefer to render their models their way than use an out of the box solution.

OK, I might be a party pooper, but I'm horrified at this proposal to waste development resources.

Paul

Yes you can bring the photo into a 3d package and then use their syncing tools to match the perspective, etc.

However, there are a lot of illustrative work which needs to incorporate structures into existing settings. You can buy a 3D package or use SketchUp free, but it can be tricky to use/learn and there are plenty of other professionals who can create the 3D models. Adobe's "tool/plugin" (Corel Designer Pro has one too or least they did 3 or 4 years ago) enables illustrators with 2d apps and 2d experience a "quick" means to integrate elements of a 3D model into the 2D world for a final "collage".

I use the method of importing transparent PNGs from a 3d app into Xara, but inevitably I have to go back and forth 2 or 3 times to resize/rescale and realign things and that is time consuming. And then if something changes before completion ....

The point of this suggestive hinges on: 1) a plugin (if you don't want to load it, you don't have to) 2) the plugin "works" well 3) the belief that the graphic apps as we know them are changing due software and hardware innovations, thus, greater integration is possible so why not take advantage of it?
    Last edited by jclements; 05 March 2008 at 02:01 PM.

Well, we can't even get nested layers that a ton of people want and 3D model import is a real niche thing.

Anyway, we're all different, maybe Xara will make your wish come true ..

Well if it makes you feel any better, I can definitely agree that more sophisticated layer handling would be beneficial for the "Pro" users.

Like to see page specific layering and guidelines, and Master Layers (would help in makeing for titles, headers, and footers) as well.

Regards, John