Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone know where to find freelance or contract work?

Where's the best place to find tips on getting as far as the boss to even have a discussion?

Paul

The less urban an area the more need to diversify your talents. I live in one of the least populated parts of the states. I can not wear just one hat... If it deals with computers I can do it, and I stay mighty busy. I know you are just as qualified Bill. Get you foot in the door, do a piece, train a person, anything to ge the boss to know you are worth the money. Once they start using your talents, they won't stop.

Full time IT is for large corporations... Be you own geek squad, and have small companies calling you all the time with this job and that... Charge by the hour... I charge up front for a full days labor... And then work an hour here and an hour there until I have worked off my days labor. I give them more than they value for and they keep coming back...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Thanks John.

I spent this morning talking with one of the county's two newspapers (The Macon County Times). They periodically have need of graphic work and so do many of their clients. They seemed eager to get my name and phone number when they looked at some of my drawings.

In the afternoon I spoke with the owner of the only printing company (other than the news papers) in the county. Mary Jo (never got her last name) worked for the Macon County Times for 13 years and owns the only colour printing company in the county. Her German Shepard named Tudor took up with me immediately. When he wanted his ears scratched he would lick my hand
    Last edited by Soquili; 04 March 2008 at 03:08 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Working for yourself is different than working for a company. There is no guaranteed pay check from week to week. As long as your customers companies grow, you have work. So it is in your best interest to make sure they are spending there money wisely. You know what pays and what doesn't. What equipment will work and what is over kill. Do they really need a twenty port switch when 2 8 ports will do the job? Will a few used copies of office 97 work, or do they need office 2010 with all the bells and whistles?

There is a niche market, out there just waiting to be tapped. So many companies have been taken down the microsoft yellow brick road. they need the latest and greatest every time it comes out. They need someone to guide them.

Do they need a wireless unsecure network, or a wired secure network? You have enough knowledge to set up your own consulting firm. Wire an office or two is nothing... They will be back... just make sure you let them know everything in your magic bag o tricks. Hardware, software, networking, graphic arts, word, excel, access... You know it all... When they have questions, they need someone to call...

99% of small companies can't afford a computer dude full time, but they would jump at the chance of getting you at an hourly rate... Sell them a block of time... whatever they want done you do it...

On the other hand it is best to warn them when they are not being smart... for instance... If one of my clients gives me something hand scribed, I let them know they can hire somebody a lot cheaper to be a typist. Let them make the call on it. If they wanna pay you, your hourly rate for unskilled labor... then do it. It's is there decission, you are just helping them make the right call.

I have found that if you help a company make a buck and save two, they will be back with 3 bucks. They tell other companies, and you are busier than you will believe. You won't have time to even moderate... much less other more time consuming tasks.

My day started at 8AM and I was running ragged until 6... At the rates I charge, I am not starving. The hourly rate is whatever the market will bare. It might be $5/hr or it might be $150/hr... staying busy is the important thing.

Remember, you are highly skilled labor. You are able to do things most small businesses can't even dream of... much less do. Don't get cocky about it, but have confidence you can help these folks.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook

Thanks for the advice John.

I have been hearing about the local IT resources from some of the businesses I have visited.

Caution is a word they have mentioned frequently. One company has all the businesses under contracts currently.
    Last edited by Soquili; 04 March 2008 at 03:33 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Then do Graphics... anything else... a foot in the door will get you more business. Particuliarly when you are there, and they are not...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    One company has all the businesses under contracts currently.
    Doesn't sound very free enterprise to me. Do the engineers come with dark glasses and shoulders like american footballers?

Paul it was convenience rather than strong arm tactics.

The tech support company was providing service in affiliation with the local telephone cooperative. That affiliation is expired and the tech support company has changed names and owners. The contracts with the local businesses are due to expire in the near future.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That's a relief. What's a telephone cooperative?

It is a locally owned telephone company, usually in rural areas. Everyone having a telephone in the service area ia a member of the cooperative.

AT&T/Bell telephone did not think it profitable to install telephone switching equipment in rural areas where there were few people per square mile.

The only way rural areas could have telephone service was to form a cooperative and purchase the equipment themselves.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update