Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Crazy Zoomies

Often when I use the zoom tool Xara will instantly zoom into a magnification factor of about 21,788% causing me to have to back out, this happens when using my tablet. I'm just curious to see if someone may have some insight about it and/or if anyone else using a tablet is experiencing the first click = random zoom factor, I can only guess that the driver is probably the cause, I'm using a compatible summagraphics tablet driver, the device is rather old, a new driver is not available as far as I know.

IP

Often when I use the zoom tool Xara will instantly zoom into a magnification factor of about 21,788% causing me to have to back out, this happens when using my tablet. I'm just curious to see if someone may have some insight about it and/or if anyone else using a tablet is experiencing the first click = random zoom factor, I can only guess that the driver is probably the cause, I'm using a compatible summagraphics tablet driver, the device is rather old, a new driver is not available as far as I know.

IP

What Xara actully does is what it is intended to do... It's the configuration of your tablet at fault. The driver of your pressure sensitive tablet is recording that the level has returned to a value that is equivalent of "no mouse down". Since this happens just around that 2 pix click-width Xara beleives that you have zoomed in a square of, say, 3 pix and zooms to its maximum level (25900% ?)

Best thing you can do is to play with your setting of the driver and especially the levels of pressure sensitivity. Go for the "soft"options in Wacom's setup and just see if that fixes the problem.

Best of Luck@!
    IP

Since graphic tablets have come up in the discusion again ... I recently purchased a Wacom Graphire, after getting the software loaded, (had a few dificulties reading the CD) I found I couldn't control the mouse it was very jerky and would disappear regularly. I assumed that since a wireless mouse is part of the package, it would work...now I am assuming there was something wrong with the one I received but, maybe I shouldn't expect to navigate, etc. ???

I returned the tablet and now don't know whether to try another graphire, something else or to forget it all together.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

Just kidding Michael! When I purchased my tablet wacom was a thought in someones imagination. Like I said its rather old and like me it has no (pressure) sense what so ever. A fixed pressure setting is what I use. Maybe your onto something with the 2 pixel thing.

Thanks for your suggestion

[This message was edited by Mike Bailey on August 10, 2000 at 07:28 PM.]
    IP

Hi Mickie, I have that mouse problem sometimes too, it happens when I leave my pen laying on the tablet, the pen is sensing a position and fighting with the mouse over control of the cursor, the pen usually wins so I don't leave it laying on the tablet.
    IP

I was thinking about what Michael was saying about the zoom into 2 pixel magnification factor, the jitter of my tablet is +/- 1 in 1000 LPI, could it be that this tiny bit movement is causing X to zoom into a pixel on the first click, after a bit of experimenting with the zoom tool I must conclude that this is the case, thanks Michael for pointing me in the right direction. There isn't much I can do about it other than adjust my drawing technique while using Xara. Knowing what causes a problem is a step towards correcting it
    IP

It's a known bug related to the rather peculiar design of the GUI event system in the program. You can reproduce it sometimes with just the mouse and keyboard. Your tablet and driver are fine.
    IP