Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Webstyle4/Dreamweaver MX NavBar Problem

I created a Nav Bar using Webstyle 4 (then added it to my site through (MX) Dreamweaver's extension to Webstyle).

The Nav Bar appears and works great in Dreamweaver's Browser preview.
    But on my actual web site, www.frankenmouse.com , the Nav Bar is not visible. (It should be over the rusty pipe on page top). I uploaded the site through Dreamweaver and I also tried uploading a second time outside of Dreamweaver (from my host's file management page). Neither method made a difference, the Nav Bar was still missing.

Since the entire site (what is done so far) was uploaded, including all folders and files, I don't know what is wrong. Especially since I can see the Nav Bar functioning within Dreamweaver's browser preview.

Is there a script or file might I need to add to correct this? HELP! Thanks a lot................Pete

PS: I've seen the problems on the forum with newer versions of Dreamweaver and Webstyle, but I didn't think my older MX version would have a problem.

Peter Gorman
    3gormans@bellsouth.net
    Last edited by ww1aero; 23 February 2008 at 01:53 AM.

Default Re: Webstyle4/Dreamweaver MX NavBar Problem

I've seen a very similar question to this recently .......... Check out this thread. I don't know what the solution is, but keep an eye on both threads It may be posted there before here.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yeah, Kieth I saw that thread, but that guy wasn't able to see his Webstyle object in Dreamweaver's browser preview. I can see and operate the nav bar in the web preview, just not on the actual web site. That's what's driving me nuts.

I'll keep watching the other thread too though, just in case.

Thanks for the reply....................Pete

Hi Pete,

Can you provide a link to the page that does not show the NavBar?

Are the files for the navbar copied to your website in the same relative path as on your local computer?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Pete, Bill,

I've experienced similar problems before, using WS4 and even MenuMaker.

Dreamweaver inserts a relative URL for the images and JavaScript. That's fine when viewing it from your computer because of your directory structure.

I've found that changing these to the FULL URL (http://whatever.com/directory/folder/file), where the 'img' and 'js' files reside on your server, usually fixes the problem.

Give it a try. What have you got to lose?

Take my advice. I'm not using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Pete,

Can you provide a link to the page that does not show the NavBar?

Are the files for the navbar copied to your website in the same relative path as on your local computer?
    Hi Bill,

The link is my site home page (under construction), at www.Frankenmouse.com .

The files are copied to the site in the same configuration they're in on my local computer.

But like Fletch says in the post after yours, I think I have to put in the FULL URL. Because I noticed that when I un-installed then re-installed Dreamweaver to fix a glitch (all of a sudden, couldn't add layers, OK after re-installing).....My Nav Bar wouldn't show up in Dreamweaver (not in Dreamweaver's browser preview nor in Dreamweaver’s work area), UNTIL I re-installed the Webstyle Dreamweaver extension. Nothing else changed in any files.

Thanks...................Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Pete, Bill,

I've experienced similar problems before, using WS4 and even MenuMaker.

Dreamweaver inserts a relative URL for the images and JavaScript. That's fine when viewing it from your computer because of your directory structure.

I've found that changing these to the FULL URL (http://whatever.com/directory/folder/file), where the 'img' and 'js' files reside on your server, usually fixes the problem.

Give it a try. What have you got to lose?

Thanks Fletch, I'm going to try it tomorrow. I think you're right (see my other reply to Bill).

I can't understand why Xara would put out something meant to help you save time setting up little odd's and end's in websites, but then make it unable to actually function without correcting things like this. Oh well, there were a lot of glitches in various Xara extremes too, I had to buy the 3.2 to fix some of them because my free upgrade grace period had just run out. I'm starting to get used to it now...........

Thanks, I'll post after I try your suggestion...............Pete

Fletch or Bill,

I'm not sure where I should add the full url. Here's the first part of my Nav Bar js file, I think I highlighted the relevent parts in BLUE;

var clicked="";var gtype=".gif";var selstate="_over";if (typeof(loc)=="undefined" || loc==""){var loc="";if (document.body&&document.body.innerHTML){var tt=document.body.innerHTML;var ml=tt.match(/["']([^'"]*)payment_types.js["']/i)

Should I try adding anything to the xaramenu.js file too? Or just the Nav Bar js (above) file?

Thanks again................Pete

Hi Pete,

Looking at your home page I do not see any code that references the NavBar images and javascript files.

The URL that Fletch advised to change to the full path would be in your main page and not in the javascript files.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Pete,

This appears in your raw code:

<script webstyle4>document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="xaramenu.js">'+'</scr'+'ipt>');document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="FrankenmouseTeeMenu/payment_types.js">'+'</scr'+'ipt>');/*img src="FrankenmouseTeeMenu/Payment_Types.gif" moduleid="Frankenmouse3color (Project)\Payment_Types_off.xws"*/</script>

The 'src' URLs are highlighted in red, and I was going to suggest that you insert a full URL here, but I don't think this matters in the least. The 'img' and 'xws' references have been commented out, as you'd expect but, as Bill has said, there is no indication of the 'menu' graphic, which must exist for it to be displayed. I assume the menu graphic is "Payment_Types.gif"?

I think it is "back to the drawing board" time!
    Take my advice. I'm not using it!