Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Content Management

Sorry me again

Also if I am just using Dreamweaver, with HTML, am I able to hand over my site to my customer?

Thanks
    IP

Default Re: Content Management

That should indeed be possible, I'm not familiar with exacly Dreamweaver, but most programs have some function to export it.
    Even if it can't export, it'll have to be sendable, due to the fact that it is meant to be on the net, where an HTML page is 100% free to view source of
    IP

Dreamweaver can export the site from your machine to the server where it will be deployed. Basically, Dreamweaver has a local folder where it stores the site for development, and a remote site for final publishing. It can publish the site for you to that remote server. Naturally you need the password and connection information for the remote site (it also allows for a test server, but you don't have to have one).

It's also perfectly possible just to take the local directory where the development site is and just copy it/zip it up/whatever.

I usually provide a zipped version for my customers.

Paul
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyB View Post
    Also if I am just using Dreamweaver, with HTML, am I able to hand over my site to my customer?

I am not sure what the real question is. Do you want the client to be able to modify the content?
    Joe
    IP

Yes I want my customer to be able to manage the content once the site has been built.

I am a bit worried though that if someone has access to the complete site they can screw up the page itself when trying to attempt to edit the content.

So, is there a way I can build the site and provide access only to the main content of the pages. What I'm trying to suggest is like you can update a news scroller on a separate file - would I be able to use this method? Would this be best and as minimal effort as possible for the client?

Thanks for all replies, just need to brainstorm it
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyB View Post
    Yes I want my customer to be able to manage the content once the site has been built.

I am a bit worried though that if someone has access to the complete site they can screw up the page itself when trying to attempt to edit the content.

So, is there a way I can build the site and provide access only to the main content of the pages. What I'm trying to suggest is like you can update a news scroller on a separate file - would I be able to use this method? Would this be best and as minimal effort as possible for the client?

Thanks for all replies, just need to brainstorm it
    Adobe contribute: http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/features/

You author with dreamweaver, they update with contribute.

I haven't used contribute, but that's the idea.

Alternatively produce the site using a full-blown CMS.

Paul
    IP

Ooh ok, had never heard of Contribute. Will look into it thanks, also looked into CMS but not sure what it will involve and don't think I am quite ready for that yet! Thanks again
    IP

Well, I hate to admit that microsoft accually made something useful for this, called masterpage, but I think that it's only compitable with aspx pages...
    IP

It is going to take some care to make things work. My advice would be to build a very small simple site, perhaps one or two pages of rubbish and use the contribute trial to see how you get on. It will be necessary to identify which parts are editable by contribute and which parts are not.

Don't try and build the whole site and then see if contribute will do as you want - it probably won't (straight off).

Experiment until you are comfortable with the technology.

Paul
    IP

I am in the process of doing that at the moment using cms through "movable type" which has wysiwyg editor so that the client can edit content. The programme has various levels of authority which allows you to control what they can edit. There are quite a few "open sourced" programmes like this which cost no money and all that you have to do is to upload them to the site and work from there. What I doing at the moment is working from Localhost and then getting Dreamweaver to edit the templates provide by movable type and then uploading it. Basically it it a blog based site with a few more bells and whistles. The reason for doing it this way as the site is community based and it would work out really expensive if all of the members who want to have a certain number of pages have to pay £110 each for the privilege to edit their pages and who many would you rely on doing this properly this way you can really restrict their access.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP