Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Red face New User, I mean really NEW!

Hi, I'm not ony a new Xara user but I'm totally new to the whole computer graphics world. I have been messing about with Xara for a few days and been mostly getting really frustrated. I would like a few pointers towards some basic instruction and tutorial materials. I am not so much an artist but I want to create basic technical drawings of guitar designs (which may or may not be artistically enhanced.) I guess I could try something like AutoCAD but I fear that is too technically complex. However I do want to create properly dimensioned and scaled vector drawings (blueprints) to provide to clients to get their sign-off and I also want to be able to print them out so I can use them in the workshop to make templates. Is there an easy way to show dimensions on a drawing? Also, I only have a standard A3/A4 paper printer so knowing how to print a full sized (1:1 scale) drawing so it prints on to multiple pages that overlap would be good.

OK thats it in a nutshell. Appreciate any pointers to basic drawing stuff about creating accurately dimensioned line drawings, and how to print on multiple pages.

Asquared

Default Re: New User, I mean really NEW!

Hi Asquared. Welcome to TG. I'm a newbie as well, with no previous graphics background at all - although I've had XXP for a while I've only been seriously into it since last year.

The video tutorials from the program's help menu are really good to start with, and you can't go wrong with Egg Bramhill's tutorials as well as Xhris's written and video tutorials and Gary Priester's Xaraxone.

I also find that the forums are really helpful. Take some time to look through, it's not just over-the-head chat like you get elsewhere.

Have fun with Xara, it's worth getting to know

Others better placed to answer your specific points will be posting soon I'm sure (btw have you tried doing a search on TG for the printing issue? I've seen plenty of stuff about that but I can't offhand remember just where! ) You might find they suggest using a combination of programs - people on here aren't employed by Xara but there are a lot of designers and artists so you will get good, unbiased answers.

John
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 18 February 2008 at 04:29 AM.

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Asquared View Post
    Is there an easy way to show dimensions on a drawing?
    XaraXtreme currently does not have any dimensioning tools. This has been spoken about a number of times. Here is one such discussion.

There are as always some work arounds