Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Some of you may know this already, so appologies.

I was looking for small fonts an downloaded some from the net. One was Silkscreen,
    which contained a virus/email trojan.

First the font corrupted, then corrupted the other fonts in the file, then dissapeared and
    became a file of unknown description. It prevented Norton from updating. BUT
    Norton did not catch it even so.

A Google search revealed that it was indeed a virus. You just do not expect to get
    them in a font file.

SO BE WARNED.
    IP

Some of you may know this already, so appologies.

I was looking for small fonts an downloaded some from the net. One was Silkscreen,
    which contained a virus/email trojan.

First the font corrupted, then corrupted the other fonts in the file, then dissapeared and
    became a file of unknown description. It prevented Norton from updating. BUT
    Norton did not catch it even so.

A Google search revealed that it was indeed a virus. You just do not expect to get
    them in a font file.

SO BE WARNED.
    IP

I've had Silkscreen installed for years - no problems here.

Just re-downloaded it from http://www.kottke.org/plus/type/silkscreen/ and virus scanned it - nothing there. Is that where you downloaded from originally?

Google turned up nothing with regard to Silkscreen being a virus (tried Silkscreen in combination with +font, +virus, +trojan, and +worm).

So I looked around the site and found http://www.kottke.org/02/08/notorious-silk
    - about someone sending a virus in email as an executable claiming to install Silkscreen.

Of course, running an executable from email is a bad idea - but again, that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the font.

Now, don't get me wrong. I certainly believe that you got infected - but I don't believe it had anything to do with Silkscreen, and without any supporting information, I don't believe that you should be stating so. If you can post more info, that might help - where you downloaded it, what virus the download contained, what you found on Google (that I can't)... but I can tell you that there's nothing wrong with Silkcreen itself.

Jackie
    IP

1. I have never clicked on email attachments. I delete all emails from sources I do not know.

2. That was the very site I downloaded from (ie Kottke).

3. Because I could not believe a virus was burried in a font, I repeated the experiment. A new file of EXACTLY the same nominal size as the Silkscreen fonts appeared in the folder at the same time as the fonts themselves dissapeared. This new fle was not a font file, I opened it up in notepad and checked it. Ipso facto, the virus was contained in that font pack.

4. I am not saying that your earlier version contains this virus, or that the genuine author of the font is the culprit.

5. All I am saying is that the above observations provide strong prima facie evidence that the Silkscren font NOW contains a virus.

6. I envy you your working copy. For the 1/2 hour that it was working, it performed excelently.
    IP