Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burn tool??? :o

Question Burn tool??? :o *answered*

Hey there people, I come to you with a question! Could someone tell me what exactly is the burn tool for cs2/cs3, what's it do to an image?
    Any help is greatly appreciated n__n
    Last edited by word; 15 February 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: changing title :)
    IP

Default Re: Burn tool??? :o

The Burn Tool is to selectively darken an area of your image. Increase expose in photographic terms.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Would darken not result in an effect of a decrease in exposure Bill?

Welcome to TG word,
    IP

Steve, not darken as in make black but to increase saturation.

My darkroom experience over rides my computer graphic experience when talking about dodging and burning. In the dark room the paper is white and so using a burn tool in the dark room you make the area darker (more saturated). A dodge tool does the opposite where you are reducing the amount of light from the enlarger that illuminates the paper, making it lighter.

In a dark room a burn tool is usually a large card stock rectangle with a pin hole, a dodge tool is a stiff wire with a round circle of card stock taped or clued to the wire.

Maybe I spoke too soon, I remember my first attempts to burn in an area of a black and white photo. It did become very black
    Last edited by Soquili; 14 February 2008 at 05:47 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

So we're talking about different exposures. In photographic terms, an increase in exposure results in more light entering the camera and creating a much brighter image (over-exposed) rather than more saturation. This is how I understand Photoshop users use the D&B tools. In PS, the 'Sponge' tool increases/decreases saturation.
    I understand your darkroom analogy to mean more exposue to the chemicals and other post processes?
    IP

The burn and dodge tools are dark room accessories. In the dark room you have more latitude in your exposure when working with black and white. Colour development in a dark room (custom processing) is more expensive and more difficult to perform. The colour photo paper is extremely sensitive to most wavelengths of light and the exposure times are very short. Too short for burning and dodging to be done manually. That is one of the best things about Photoshop, it made working on colour prints by burning and dodging as easy as it is in a dark room for black and white photography.

For black and white a typical custom print follows along the following steps:

You put the frame you want to print into the enlarger.
    Focus the lens of the enlarger and set the aperature you want.
    You then make a test sheet by covering all but 1/10th of a sheet of photo paper. Set the enlarger's timer for 1/10th of a second. Allow the exposure to occur.
    Slide your cover sheet so that another 1/10th of the photo paper is exposed and expose the paper again.
    Repeat until you have exposed the last 1/10th of the photo paper.

The first 1/10th of the paper exposed will have 1 second total exposure. You will have 10 exposure increments across the photo paper. Place your test sheet of photo paper in the developer for the recommend time for the temperature of the developer. Use the recommended times for rinse, fix, then wash.

Allow the paper to dry and take it out into a fully lighted room or sunlight. Decide which section of the paper has the saturation and contrast you are after.

You then return to the dark room and put a fresh sheet of photo paper down, set the timer for the time your test sheet determined was your favorite. Expose, develop, rinse, fix, and wash then dry. Take this test print out into normal light and determine if some area needs to be burned (increase exposure) or dodged (decrease exposure).

Remember in a dark room with photo paper your increased exposure makes darker (more saturated and decreased contrast) and the decreased exposure makes lighter (weaker saturation and decreased contrast).
    Last edited by Soquili; 14 February 2008 at 06:19 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

OK Bill thanks for the lenghty explaination - I accept all that darkroom stuff because I really don't know any better.
    But do you think that PhotoShops Dodge/Burn/Sponge tools work in the same way?
    To be honest, I don't....

In thinking more - you're working with negative to positive, where blocking light results in a lighter image. This is the opposite to the way exposure works 'in-camera' and of course the source of my ignorance with your Darkroom techniques....
    Of course, photoshop (and digital photos from cams and scanners) are working with positives always.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 14 February 2008 at 06:32 AM. Reason: more thunking
    IP

Just an example.

The first image is a stock photo used for teaching colourisation and using the burn tool.

The second image shows some application of the burn tool to the eyes and mouth only.

See how the colours are more saturated in the second image.

Attaching a section of screen shot to show word the settings I used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no-burn.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	45422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burn.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	45423  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burn-tool-settings.gif 
Views:	284 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	45425  
    Last edited by Soquili; 14 February 2008 at 06:39 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Yep I can see the difference well. Though I have to say, the colours are darker rather than saturated.

Using the Sponge tool in 'Staturate' mode increase the saturation of the pixel colours without darkening them.

Here I sponged one eye and the lips.

I guess we're going to differ on this one, so I'll settle for 'alternative techniques'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spongerated.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	45424  
    IP

Hey didn't I say darken before....memory going rapidly this time of the morning/late night

You are correct Steve it does darken. I see where I over burned and the lips have black specs.

Maybe she is going Goth
    Last edited by Soquili; 14 February 2008 at 06:56 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP