Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default problem targeting pasted objects to page

Hi,

I'm new to Xara Xtreme. It came bundled with simply mepis 7 and I thought I'd give it a try when inkscape gave me trouble after upgrading to SM7. But there is one highly annoying thing I have not been able to figure out. I hope this hasn't been asked and answered.

When I use ctrl-v to paste a copied object, it gets placed somewhere way off the page. I have discovered several methods to find and retrieve it but I'm sure this is not the way this is supposed to work. Sometimes it gets pasted outside of the area I can even scroll to, although even then it's retrievable. I tried changing some parameters in the page set up (spread) so there is not so much space outside of the page but this does not keep ctrl-v from putting the object out in the toolies. It just makes it harder to find and retrieve. I saw a post about using crlt-shift-v but that doesn't change the behavior. Any thoughts?

MArk
    IP

Default Re: problem targeting pasted objects to page

Hi Mark,
    Welcome to TG.

I saw a post about using crlt-shift-v but that doesn't change the behavior. Any thoughts?
    Not certain what you mean there Mark as Ctl+V and Ctrl+Shift+V do behave differently by design.

'Ctrl+Shift+V' will paste an object (or grouped objects) to the same position on the page it was 'copied' from.
    This also works when copying from one page and pasting to another, the objects will be pasted to the same position on the new page.

Ctrl+V will paste the clipboard objects 'centre-screen'
    So if you have Xara at full screen and your document at say 50% and scrolled to the left of the screen, the objects will appear 'way off the page'. However if you have the page centered on the screen, the pasted object will be smack in the middle of the page.
    IP

Mark I did not know what Mepis 7 was, but it seems to be a version of Linux.

XaraLX is the Linux version of Xara Xtreme and is not a completed version of the program. It is and has been at version 0.7 for sometime. Support by 3rd party Linux developers has been lacking so if or when an updated version becomes available depends on the Linux community.

There is a forum for the Linux version at http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks for the reply Sledger.

This is what happens. I have an object on the page. Xara occupies the full screen and I set the zoom to page and have the full page centered on the screen with an area of gray around it. I can use the scroll bars to move the page right left up down. But now it's right in the middle. If I select-all (ctrl-a) I see handles around the objects on the page. I deselect everything by clicking off the objects then I select an object and use ctrl-c to copy it. Works the same if I select copy off the edit menu. I then use ctrl-v to paste the object onto the page. Nothing appears to happen. If I again use crtl-a I see handles that tell me there is something out in the gray area and if I scroll (usually right and up) I may find the object way up in the corner. Not always, sometimes I have to click on a visible object and kind of drag the whole thing (usually down and left) for the pasted object to come into the work space. Then I can deselect everything else, get them back together and onto the page. If I select all I see handles that let me know I have everything. As far as the shift ctrl v I was just trying different things to see if it helped. That too pastes the objects off the page. Hope this helps clarify the problem. I will say that when trying somethings out after reading your reply that occasionally it behaved as you suggested, and I expected, it would. But mostly it does as I described above.

Mark
    IP

Sorry Mark I missed that you are using XaraLX. My replies are not intended for that version.
    Your thread should really be moved to the correct Xara for Linux forum.
    IP

I had searched the Xara Linux group and not seen anyone with this problem there but will try to redirect this to them. Can a moderator move this thread to that forum?

Mark
    IP

Yes is done.
    IP

Mark the paste operation places the new object in the center of the full size screen. If you are zoomed in your new object will be out of the display area.

I use a 19 inch widescreen display on my Linux machine. All pasted objects are placed center screen at 100% zoom. Xara can zoom to more than 25000% so pasting to the center of the zoomed area is not supported. At 25000% a single pixel is larger than the display area of most if not all monitors.

If you need a duplicate of a shape in your zoomed display. Left Click to select the shape and drag to where you want the new copy. Before releasing the left mouse button click with the right mouse button. A new copy of the shape is now where you right clicked.

Another option is to click select the shape you want to duplicate. Ctrl+K to Clone the shape. Now left click select and drag the top copy of the shape to a new location.

In Xara there are multiple ways to accomplish things as long as you work within the abilities of the program.
    Last edited by Soquili; 09 February 2008 at 10:43 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Soquili,

Thanks. Your suggestion about right clicking before letting go of the left button is the perfect solution for what I need to do. I make schematics with lots of redundant elements and that works perfectly. Why the ctrl-v pasts things off screen still doesn't track for me but at least now I can use the program to do my work. You can mark this thread solved if you like. I'm always looking for Linux solutions to my computing needs and Xara seems like a pretty nice program and the community seems pretty active and helpful. I'll recommend this to my illustrator and non-linux friends as something they should try.

Mark
    IP