Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara on a Mac

Default Xara on a Mac

Just bought a Mac, and am trying to get Xara to work on it, Fink isnt working and Im wondering what to do if anyone could clairify the process for me thanks
    Rian

Default Re: Xara on a Mac

I've heard that it works with Parallels.

Hi Rian,

I think Sally Bode, was one that got xara to run on a mac. Do a serach for her name see what you find out.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hey Rian - It's been a while.

You need to run Xara in a Windows environment. Xara cannot run natively on a Mac although there is a Mac version in the works.

So you need to have a Windows emulator such as Parallels and a copy of Windows installed on the Mac before you can run Xara.

The advantage with Parallels is you don't have to boot Mac or boot Windows, you can have both environments running at the same time.

Gary

Smile Re: Xara on a Mac

Hi Rian

I use Xara on a Mac. I use Parallels Desktop and have had no problems at all. You will also need a copy of Windows.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

Best
    Amanda

I'll be switching to a mac later this year. A question about fonts for those running both operating systems: I assume the font libraries for OS-X and Windows are distinct and separate; if that's so, what Windows font formats can be copied over into OS-X (ps, tt, ot)? Should I anticipate needing to buy mac versions of my favorite fonts?

thanks,
    Dave
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

I'd stick with moving OT and TT fonts over to mac from Win. PS can work, but there are some differences in that type of font, technical legitimate differences that I can't seem to remember at the moment.

Try not to copy over the fonts that already match, or don't overwrite them at least. Mac has some of the web defaults, verdana, garamond, georgia and more.

Mac and Windows have always had problems with PostScript fonts. Part of the problem is naming conventions.

Toward this purpose, Microsoft and Adobe and others created the Open Type format which works the same on all platforms. An Open Type font has many more characters (glyphs—256 vs 65,000) so an Open Type font can contain a lot more than a single font. In many cases a full range of styles, ligatures, plus a variety of specific languages.

Here's a link to Adobe's Open Type page.

Gary