Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layout web page

Default Layout web page

I am about to start designing my website using xara to wireframe my site i was going to use a width of 750px for the design is this width ok?

Default Re: Layout web page

That's fine if you want. I usually go 800 pixels in width. Some people go larger, but I wouldn't. If you take into account your visitor's possible browser window size, extra screen usage by favorites or bookmarks, etc, the possibility of varying resolutions, 800 is a safe bet. At least for the time being.

Best of Luck!

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Based on a minimum of 800 x 600 screen resolution, 800 is a touch too big, as the scroll bars aren't taken into consideration - 775ish is a better maximum (I personally can't remember the actual scroll bar widths, but have got it written down somewhere). I normally try to use 600 as a maximum ...... See below ............

Here's a little known fact - when printing web pages, if any graphic or row of graphics etc. pushes the page width past 640 pixels (including button bars etc.) then the page will not print properly on standard letter paper with portrait orientation.

If you can keep all graphics in the same line below a total of 640 pixels total width, printing should be fine.

If you expect that your target audience will be printing your pages, then keep this in mind.

I don't know about you but I find not being able to print web pages correctly is seriously frustrating ......
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 05 February 2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Correct Spelling
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks for the advice will let you see the wire framing when finished. Will properly need more advice during the design stage.

Cheers

Web page sizes and target screen resolutions tend to provoke religous wars. I think designing for 800x600 screens is a bit conservative these days. I don't know anyone running a screen resolution less than 1024x768 (and haven't done for some years now), most modern machines come with widescreen resolutions that are 1200x768 or bigger. ss-kalm is quite correct about taking into account browser and window space which reduces the available area for the page.

In many respects 800x600 is a good size to use since it fits inside the screens almost everyone has without looking like a postage stamp.

In times gone past the arguments used to be for designing for 640x480 screens when most people already had 800x600!

Paul

I personally would still use 800 or higher. The most common monitor size for the last 5 years has been 1024 x 768 and they're only getting higher.

As far as printing goes, you can always use a style sheet to create a printable version.
    Last edited by RedWombat; 04 February 2008 at 10:01 PM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

I agree that most of the technologically savvy population tend to use the highest resolution that they can get. However, I still know some people who are either suffering from eye problems, or just as preference like to see the screens big, who still stick to 800 x 600. They complain that anything bigger is too small.

If you are going to make printer friendly pages then there obviously no problems with the higher resolutions. However, as you are aware, with the advent of the "even an idiot" can do it software, not all of the people who design web pages, are even aware that there is a problem printing their pages. As I said personally I use 100% as a screen width for the pages, and stay away from using extra large graphics. I started doing HTML with windows notepad and dial up, where graphics over 50k were a real problem.

In the end, it's all personal preference .........
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I agree Keith. When a company I worked for upgraded to 17 inch flat panel displays and dual core CPUs, I configured them for 1024x768. Many of the users requested a change back to 800x600

Over 97% of their work was done using a terminal emulator that configured itself to the same resolution regardless of the Windows settings.

The 3% of their work done using Excel was why they liked the larger text size of the 800x600 screen.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    However, I still know some people who are either suffering from eye problems, or just as preference like to see the screens big, who still stick to 800 x 600. They complain that anything bigger is too small.
    Bad luck I say.
    After all, I have to suffer those nano-font ingredients lists on products at the supermarkets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    After all, I have to suffer those nano-font ingredients lists on products at the supermarkets!!!
    The one I have trouble with is the minimum system requirements sections on PC software.
    Keith