Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Affordable 3D Scanning

WOW!!!
    Something to save your pennies for folks
    https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecu...FQEjFQodaxllug

Default Re: Affordable 3D Scanning

Oddly, I'm not that impressed...

It's actually quite cool. Only thing I would improve on, is to make the stand motorized so it spins the object. This would result in less physical repositioning
    Before you know it... there will be a couple similar models for lower cash, just as with any such items.
    The fact that one could use it to create their own models for ZBrush, Blender, etc. is cool since it can get rather costly to purchase them

Watching the demo movie I got the impression that the auto positioner does rotate the object in the scanning plane

In any event to get a full 3D scan you need a minimum of two scans and depending on topography you may need quite a few. At least until someone comes up with a method for suspending an object in mid air and keeping it there whilst every part of the surface is scanned in one go

I was a bit unhappy about the way they assured us that the fusing of the separate scans was easy and did not need to be 100% accurate - the phrase 'well they would say that wouldn't they' came to mind

Also noticed they did not go into any detail about scanning transparent/shiny/mirrored surfaces which often involves the application of 'make-up' - just like being on TV

Interesting that Paul - thanks
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

How weird... There are no reviews for it online?! Not that I would ever need one but I was curious.

Risto