Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Opaque layers?

Default Opaque layers?

Hi,

I'm using Painter 9. Digital watercolors. I have created a decorative border on one layer. On the layer above it, I am painting shapes that overlap the decorative border. Even though I have opacity set at 100% I am able to see the decorative border through the shapes. How do I overlap shapes without having the ones on the bottom show through?

Thanks
    IP

Default Re: Opaque layers?

Hi,

In order to produce the intended look of transparent watercolor, when we paint using Digital Watercolor on a Layer, the Layer must be in Composite Method Gel.

That happens automatically when we begin painting with Digital Watercolor on a New Layer.

If the Layer already contains painting done with brush variants from other brush categories that don't automatically change the Layer Composite Method to Gel, since the Layer is in Composite Method Default, though the Digital Watercolor painting will be opaque, we'll see white around the Digital Watercolor brush strokes when they pass over underlying color (they won't show the white edges if they pass only over underlying white).

To avoid having your painted shapes overlapping the decorative border transparent, allowing the decorative border to show through, the easiest solution is to paint with brush variants from a brush category that doesn't require the Layer to be in Composite Method Gel.

When making a change like this, be sure to first save your file in RIFF format so if anything goes wrong, you'll have the last saved version to open and try again.

There are other ways to accomplish the desired result, probably several methods, but they take too long to explain and, again, the method I suggested is the simplest and easiest one.

Good luck!
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP