Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Web Page Help Needed

pauland if u go to the examples i gave, and try to copy paste even in that the background does not get copied atleast for me it does not. If they had copy pasted then when we do copy paste the background should come as well.

Just wondering if they upload somewhere and then like for image there is a forum code [IMG] could there be 1 to load a html page??
    IP

I think you need to speak to someone locally who can look at what you are doing and probably sort things out in a few minutes. If you are going to be sucessful using these methods, you need to understand the basics of how html works.

I suspect that the other people doing cut and paste are lucky because however they produce their page, the software is creating everything they need in a table with a background image. I don't use PI and I don't think it's ideal for producing webpages.

I think that if you persevere or get some local help, you should manage to get what you want.

The table edit should have done the trick for you - I'm sorry there's still a problem.

All I can really do is say "good luck" and stick with it.

Paul
    IP

I'm not sure why you need to post a huge HTML page with backgrounds and flashing signs in a forum.

Could you clarify what you are doing and why, so that we can try and figure out the easiest way to do what you need.

I agree with Paul, someone is being very lucky with the links to their graphics (that may even be stored in other sub-directories) for it to work properly, and tend to think that the links cannot find the right graphic after being cut and pasted.

Your webpage code
    <BODY TOPMARGIN="0" BACKGROUND="background_12.gif" LEFTMARGIN="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0">
    <TABLE BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0">
    implies that the background is in the same directory as the page code. But since you cut and pasted it, that is highly unlikely. All your other links are URL's.

I would suggest that you check the location of the ="background_12.gif" that you are referencing.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 05 February 2008 at 05:26 AM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Now as a continuation from my last post ....... The bad news:

Unless you have permission from the owners of the graphics you have linked too, you should not use them as you could land yourself in serious copyright trouble.

If you do have permission to use their graphics, you should copy them to your own webspace, and reference them from there.

At the moment it appears that not only are you using someone else's graphics, but you are also using their bandwidth to display them. BAD BAD BAD .... I think this problem goes back to the cut and paste issues. With the copy and paste, you are only copying text, you are not actually copying any content. That's why all the URL links work, but the direct link to the background doesn't.

If you are serious about making webpages, I would suggest that you learn a little about it, and not just cut and paste content from elsewhere

You are trying to display a webpage on a forum - you don't actually have any webspace.. If you want to make a webpage, you should get some webspace and use a hosting company. There are even some free ones about.
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 05 February 2008 at 01:28 PM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Thanks a lot pauland ur hint about the table did work. PI cannot handle it but frontpage can and i tried doing it thru the table and the page worked. Thanks a lot for ur help.

ss-kalm - these pages are not for regular posts, but for some special posts eg. a newsletter. A little effect makes the page appearance a lot interesting to read and see.

About the graphics, i have not made those pages, but will keep in mind ur suggestion when i make them and use the graphics. Will load them to a free image hosting site and use them from there and not directly.

Thanks again to both of you for being so helpful.
    Love
    Pinky
    IP

as far as I know you cannot copy a background by just selecting with a mouse, you have to right-click the background image and save it to your computer.

As for the link above about the display of your web-page, as previously mentioned, you have broken links,
    • either you uploaded the image to the wrong place on the server
    • or you forgot to upload the images to the server and only uploaded the HTML file

The best way to do this is to work on an HTML file and an "Image" folder where you save all your images into. then upload both the "file.html" and the "Images" folder to the web and that should display right. Now remember "file.html" and "Images" folder should have the same relation on the server as on your computer.

For example, if "file.html" and Images are in the same folder, then keep it the same way on the server, don't put "file.html" in one folder and "Images" in another folder or a sub folder.

I hope that helps
    IP