Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi Folks,

To this day I'm still having a few output problems with CD9's drop shadow feature.

Should I output a "shadowed" image through my TK440 dye sub, everything looks great. However, if I output through the TK780 (laser) or HP large output plotter (the good one), the shadows aren't transparent and have that "halo" effect. This is not good, especially for exhibit work going through the HP.

I'm sure there's a patch or a fix somewhere (Corel or manufacturer), but I have not found it as of yet. Anybody? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Thanks a bunch,

Gary G.
    IP

Hi Folks,

To this day I'm still having a few output problems with CD9's drop shadow feature.

Should I output a "shadowed" image through my TK440 dye sub, everything looks great. However, if I output through the TK780 (laser) or HP large output plotter (the good one), the shadows aren't transparent and have that "halo" effect. This is not good, especially for exhibit work going through the HP.

I'm sure there's a patch or a fix somewhere (Corel or manufacturer), but I have not found it as of yet. Anybody? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Thanks a bunch,

Gary G.
    IP

Gary,
    Have you separated the shadow from the object to see if that helps?
    IP

Hi Elliott,

Yes I have separated them and to no avail. There was never a problem in CD8, but for some reason, CD9 hasn't been as smooth. That and the earlier "snap to objects" debacle were the only real problems I've had with CD9.

BTW, if anyone has a problem out there with crashing and lock-ups using Tek 780 printers and Corel, there is a DLL file that has to be deleted. That solution is found in the NOW Xerox/Tek support section.

Back to the shadow thing, I'll get off my duff and do a little R&D in that area on printing vendors sites.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Gary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    IP

Are there settings in the Printer Properties for the various printers that need fine-tuning? For me, choosing "Contone" rather than "Screened" on my Xerox DocuColor 40 (Splash Spooler) will give me banding, loss of transparency, and a halo on my drop shadows.

Is the plotter using HPGL or GhostScript rather than PostScript? It's been awhile since I output to HPGL (I was a drafter for 18 years), but I seem to remember a contone vs. screened kind of setting in there somewhere.

Are you aware that converting the shadow to bitmap defaults to CMYK? If converting to bitmap, I would make sure to also change the mode to grayscale and then either a) use the bitmap color mask thingy to drop out the white in that new bitmap, or b) convert to lineart with the halftone option (after going to grayscale first) and then make the "fill" of the bitmap "none". This last option pretty much takes the RIP out of the picture, so to speak, and only needs you to choose an appropriate resolution. And it won't necessarily increase the file size.

[This message was edited by Steve Downey on August 11, 2000 at 06:37 PM.]
    IP

Hi Steve...

You've given me aplenty to chaw on! Let me go play around a bit. We do have one of those Xerox megaloptic Splash printers in our office, and by default the shadows have been coming out OK.

Thanks again for taking the time!

Gary G.
    IP