Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default study vector brush

this is a study of part of Heath Robinson's frontpeice for The Camp Followers from Bill the Minder

it was done in creaturehouse epression 3

I limited myself to the one brush only, the one brush size only and a 'speed drew' it - ie just drawing the line in one go, no erase or back track, no real stopping to think too hard. Garphire 3 tablet.

It took 30 minutes.

I cannot post the original as it is copyright, and know of no legitimate copy on the web.

oh for xara to have vector brushes like these, but I promised not bang on about that, sorry.

I have attached the E3 file [zipped] for those with E3 - and xar file for those without, for those who might be interested. The drawing was ported from E3 to xara as ai7.
    The xara file is a bit big 1.25MB
    The E3 file is 234KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whr1.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	44704  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: study vector brush

and with the outlines switched out [duh....]

I like this - it would be a different line style - but the best digital 'inking' for me that I have found so far....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whr1-noutlines.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	44733  
    Last edited by handrawn; 26 January 2008 at 10:45 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve, on which OS have you installed E3?

Hi Steve

XP home edition SP2 updated to latest criticals.
    Nothing lasts forever...

That's really good Steve My introduction to Heath Robinson was via Professor Brainstawm books - they weren't the same when somebody else took over the illustrating

John

Thanks very much John - I was very pleased with the way it came out and I appreciate your comments.

Reason for choosing this was it's a piece of art that has been close to my heart since I was 6 [a long time ago] - very very familiar - so it was an excellent benchmark for me.

Professor Branestawm - wow thats going back a bit too, but no doubt a young lad such as yourself was reading reprints
    Nothing lasts forever...

I wish they had been first editions £££! Puffin versions only. My Dad had half-a-dozen first-edition Ronald Searle's (including two St Trinians) but I think a relative snaffled them when I wasn't looking!

Yeah, I think you've caught Heath-Robinson's style to a 'T' And that fish is typical of HR's humour: studious human with angling gear and the quarry is a few feet away laughing

John

Sadly my copy of Bill the Minder is the 'cheaper edition' - mind you if it was a first, I don't think I'd dare open it.

Ronald Searle - another genius - got lots of his book - he and Gerald Scarfe were the people I wanted to be when I first started doodlin.

If you ever get to see the original of the camp followers - you will see that there are fish all the way round.
    One thing about the style - common at the time [1912] -there's a lot of white space [blank paper].
    Used very effectively here - you don't need to draw water or waves, just a few ripples.

Thanks again for the comments.
    Nothing lasts forever...

£695! I like to keep books in good condition but what's the point if you can't enjoy them ?! Not found illustrations yet, except for a tv cartoon version - I'll have another look around after Time Team

John

ah the TV version as I recall didn't really have a lot to do with Bill the Minder the book - but more to do with the 'strange contraptions and machines' that WHR became famous for later on.

you have not seen this then
    http://www.peterharringtonbooks.com/stock_18290.asp
    Nothing lasts forever...