Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Eraser tool would be cool

I guess thats more like a 'localised undo' than a genuine erase
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That would seem to me to amount to the same thing.

yes - depends on how you mean 'localised' I guess - what I meant was that the erase mentioned in post #1 and by Bill is really a 'retrace your immediate steps' operation.
    a genuine erase you could close down the file, the system, come back next week and erase
    Nothing lasts forever...

That is what I get for skimming the text and not Reading the text

Missed the reference to the shift key

I haven't used the Eraser in CorelDraw X3, yet. Still have time on the trial version

The workaround I use:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutline.gif 
Views:	208 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	44660  
    Last edited by Soquili; 23 January 2008 at 09:00 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    a genuine erase you could close down the file, the system, come back next week and erase
    One could always drag-select the nodes a week later and hit 'delete'....

sorry Steve the wires seem to have crossed again
    I was only trying to illustrate the limitations of the erase method mentioned in post #1 and Bill [post#9] ie keep hold of mouse and press shift - nothing more
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes and I agree with you. I'm playing the Devils advocate and thinking of counter arguments

Righto

Well then - the trouble with traditional vector drawing is that to an old traditionalist like me its not drawing. Before the lynch mobs arrive at my door what I mean is that its more a question of laying down a path or shape and then reshaping it - to me it has more the quality of 2D sculpture than it does drawing. So cutting stuff away rather than erasing it makes perfect sense.
    Now when we get a brush tool where we can see what we are doing as we actually do it [as in E3 and inkscape] - not have some namby pamby path - when we can draw lines out by making contiguous strokes [which is what drawing actually means] without them automatically joining themselves up - when I can switch off the nodes so I can see what the chuff I am doing in the fine detail - then an eraser would be most useful

I like this advocacy stuff - its fun
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hey ya'll,..those are all workable solutions and I would never shoot down any suggestions or alternatives as I love to read everyone's thoughts and ideas. I work a strange way indeed when it comes to vectors. I draw like I would on a pad of paper with a pencil. It's imbedded in my brain and I cannot change the way I draw to suit a piece of software. I just don't feel I should and I know I'm funny this way. SO,....that being said,...the only way that the eraser tool makes sense to me is if it can truly act the part of a conventional eraser. It can be done in vectors as ToonBoom Studio and Flash both do it. Flash does it but at a cost....(it is also not a proportionate line with the art) TBS does this and does it beautifully,..but I was just hoping my favorite graphics app could do this too which led me to my original post.

I think what TBS and Flash really do is "cut out" the nodes as you go over the lines (strokes) with the eraser tool.........Basically eliminating nodes thus reducing the line length. Mathematics (as mentioned in this post) is indeed going on here. SO in Xara,..when I finish a line (stroke) I release the mouse because I make quick lines (the way I draw)..so holding the mouse down (or Wacom stylus pen in my case) won't work for me.

Scott Kurtz obviously has given this issue some thought too and created a video to show his personal dilemma with the eraser tool and he's asking anyone to show him a vector app that has the eraser hew needs for his work...
    http://www.pvponline.com/2008/01/19/...vector-victor/
    Last edited by TDolce; 24 January 2008 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDolce View Post
    Scott Kurtz obviously has given this issue some thought too and created a video to show his personal dilemma with the eraser tool...
    He's a funny guy..
    Though I can't help thinking he's his own worst enemy either.

I wish him luck in his quest, perhaps XaraXP will come to his rescue? He might be fun to have on this forum.