Default Re: Is Corel Draw Suite X4 worth the upgrade price

Having a play with CDX4.
    Was interested in the new RAW support in PhotoPaint

Support for RAW camera files:
    Interactive controls let you preview adjustments in real time
    Very limited.

No support for PENTAX .pef .ptx
    No support for KODAK .dcf .kdc
    No support for SAMSUNG/LEICA. .dng (Adobe Digital Negative)
    No support for PANASONIC/LUMIX .raw
    No support for MAMIYA .mef . mos
    No support for SONY .arw .srf
    .....likely more

I think if you are going to offer RAW support to entice dCam users, you can't be picky Corel.

Hmm - maybe X4 SP1 will fix this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corelrawrubbish.gif 
Views:	474 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	44762  
    IP

Worth the upgrade price? probably not. However, the PowerTrace tool has got a lot better - I attach an Outline Trace (Line Art - default settings) of a photo of my house. I'm pleased with the result (Top picture). Much better than what X3 could produce. The user interface is better, and the "What The Font" integration is of minimal use, but better than having to leave the program to use it. As I have read very often over the years, it seems that the odd numbered releases are the ones to watch out for. Look forward to the XV (X5?) release in the middle of next year.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casitas.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	44783  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    As I have read very often over the years, it seems that the odd numbered releases are the ones to watch out for. Look forward to the XV (X5?) release in the middle of next year.
    Then logically, Corel could merely name their releases accordingly to boost sales, surely?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Then logically, Corel could merely name their releases accordingly to boost sales, surely?
    Steve, I'm quite sure you're right, most people sussed it out after the 9 release, (recognised alongside X3 as probably the last best advance on the previous releases). They then sought to bamboozle the punters by naming subsequent releases with the X prefix, hoping perhaps to con the less literate/numerate.
    But given that each new release comes out at about 18 month intervals, then we only have to remember to shell out once every 3 years. We only have to look out for the mid 2009, mid 2112 and so on releases. They can call them whatever they like. We don't have to fall for it. If Corel were honest, they would name the intervening releases as X (x.5). But when did corporations ever consider the honest route?
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Gosh.... Bob
    IP

I'm more disputing the value of it at $199.00 US for upgrade price. At $99.00 I would more interested in an upgrade. I also have not upgraded from my Xara Extreme Pro yet still waiting there. I will admit that I'm somewhat of a software junkie however. My favorite use of software is photos and drawing.
    IP

I have been a big fan of CorelDRAW (and Paint) for years. Currently I used 12 at the office and X3 at home. I was somewhat excited to try X4 with the hopes of seeing something new and a good reason to spend the wade of excess cash I have saved for such things. I was however very disappointed. Pretty much like I was when I looked at X3. ( I still wound up spending the money, unfortunately) It does seem to run much faster than previous versions (running on XP) but that is about all I see.

I think maybe they are possibly marketing to new buyers instead of looking at existing costumers to upgrade. I think I will save my money for a Xara upgrade or a new photo editor.
    Last edited by tekarts; 01 February 2008 at 09:11 PM.
    IP

I looked at Corel's web page for "What's New" and I was looking for more. I spent 3 min scrolling up and down looking for something new and exciting that made me have to get it, with no avail. I must admit I have not even downloaded the trial, I think at this point I will be passing on X4 even though I almost always buy the upgrades.

My previous versions:
    5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, X3...

I used to think, "oooh... a new version maybe its more stable..." only to find it was not, only after 2 patches was it as good as the last one, only after I installed SP2 for X3 did I completely abandon V12...

BTW I think the reason for the X3 & X4 instead of 13 & 14 is the idea that 13 is an unlucky number, such as no floor 13 in hotels etc... Personally I wish they would follow some other manufacturers lead and use the year, IE CorelDraw 2008... But thats me.

John
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by okfoz View Post
    ... Personally I wish they would follow some other manufacturers lead and use the year, IE CorelDraw 2008... But thats me.

John
    Oh they can't do that ------ My CD5 would look really old if they did that .......... (Never did manage to find out how it works! That's why I never bought an update).
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP