Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: painter IX.5 error message

I had that same message about a year ago, after changing my hard drive (I'm using XP by the way). But it was my copy of Painter X, not IX.5 (which I also have, but worked fine and wasn't affected).

Same as you, no amount of uninstalling and reinstalling did anything to fix the problem. After long sessions of searching the net, I found some advice HERE (see bottom of the page).

Which was basically search for and delete all registry entries called "Protexis" (I think I found 2 entries), being carefully not to touch anything else by mistake and so wreak your registry. (back up your registry before hand just in case)

There is the second option on that page, but frankly I didn't know what that was on about and since the first fix worked, I went no further.

I hope this works as well for you as it did for me.
    IP

Thanks very much for that Fes Appreciated. I'll have a go.

It's reassuring actually to know that other people have had the same problem with the program and with 'customer services' - it's not just me!

Thanks again .... I'll post any results

John
    IP

Good luck!
    IP

No joy Same error message. There were two entries for protexis so I wouldn't be surprised if Corel has other things lurking .... it's as bad as Norton to kill!

I think the main problem is the links I have for the download are for trial copies. If Corel would just send the program itself the problem would be sorted, but as you know from my posts above, when they sent that the ZIP was empty.

Ah well, thanks for trying You'll hear the shout if/when that Corel chap responds

PS I don't know what that other fix means either Think I'll give that one a miss!

John
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 23 January 2008 at 04:46 PM.
    IP

Sorry it didn't work for you. Fingers crossed that Corel sort it out.
    IP

You'd better cross them hard. From the previous descriptions, Corel Support don't seem too swift.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

You're dead right there Keith. I'm hoping to circumvent the 'customer services' by contacting that guy. Worked out I've spent £400+ on Corel programs and they sent me a nice e-mail today trying to sell me some more because I'm a 'valued customer'

Live and learn, eh?

John
    IP

Maybe a whole system restore is the only thing to get rid of whatever is wrong/corrupt. What a pain. Don't suppose you have an old system backup handy (that reminds me... must do a system backup)?!

Dunno if you've read THIS thread, which also suspects the Protexis licensing issue, but gives another possible solution.

If it is something to do with Protexis (which is not automatically uninstalled when you remove Painter) maybe try removing it - note that other Corel programs are/maybe linked to this licensing program and by removing it they may also stop working too. When you reinstall Painter, it will/should also reinstall Protexis (which runs PSIService.exe). You can't uninstall Protexis via the Add or Remove Programs function, cause it doesn't appear there. Here is a link to their website (see bottom of page) that tells you how to uninstall it. I haven't tried this and it's a complete guess on my part whether it will hinder or help - so it's up to you.

Corel Paint Shop Pro also seems to have this error issue... HERE is Corels solution for that program, but goodness knows if it also works for Painter.
    Last edited by Fes; 24 January 2008 at 01:33 PM.
    IP

John

as a painter IX.5 user in the past, now X , I have been following this thread but have nothing really additional to add except it may be that Fes is right about the system restore

however one thing occurs first - did you install the trial version - does it work - can it be activated/re-registered?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Fes: thanks for your links, I really do appreciate your time I've just read that forum page - interesting, but I got rid of the Protexis entries in the registry and there's nothing under their name in Computer Management. I checked their website after you brought the name up but sounds a bit dodgy to me. The Corel 'fix' looks like the same one that was in the zap file customer support [HA!] sent to me. A normal system restore would be unfeasible if not impossible (problem occured September-ish) and I don't want to do a full system re-install and have to re-install all my programs and set-up when eveything else is working smoothly (fingers crossed!) - last image of system I took was about a month ago so that wouldn't be any use either I'm afraid. What worried me in that forum was the implication that once a Corel program declares itself to be corrupt there's no way it can be re-installed without a full system re-install

I did have Corel Office installed as well but I uninstalled that a while back so as to make sure (try and make sure!) all Corel bits were removed - shared dlls etc.

Steve thanks for your attention too - re the trial version: when things went wrong the Corel clowns (sorry, customer support) sent me a link to what turned out to be the trial version and every link I tried thereafter ( i.e. via the download insurance link ) was to the same. It installs, 50% of the time, but when I click to open the program I get that darned message. There's nothing in the install procedure where I can enter my activation code and, because it wont open, I can't validate from within the program.

What's really getting to me now is that:

a) I've had more support on here than Corel has given

b) Corel knew that there was/is a problem but their CS not only sent duff (and insulting!) links but also tried to blame me!

It's the principle of the thing now. What do I need Painter for when I've got Xara? Artrage and Inkscape can fill in the gaps.

Life's too short .... but I'm not letting them off the hook tho!

Thanks again guys

John
    IP