Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

painter IX.5 error message

Has anybody else had this message?

Long story short, I upgraded to painter IX.5 and bought the 2 year download "insurance" - which is due to expire in May - and last year, after using the program a number of times in the previous week, I found I could not open Painter and got this message. I contacted by phone and e-mail (as I say, long story short!) and, after removing Painter as per their instructions (roughly 5 times to date - regedit the lot!) got a download link that produced the same error and a zip archive that was empty!

The main person I've been dealing with has twice said she'd get back to me and hasn't. She has also "suggested" that I did not get the program from Corel (which annoyed me immensely, but I kept my cool) and I sent confirmation last November but have not heard anything since.

Sorry to post here about this but I'm getting nowhere with customer services. They are not helping at all. Quite the opposite I think. I was going to let it go but I paid for the original program and the upgrade .... why should I just forget it?? I'm being fobbed-off and I don't like it

Sorry again. Trying not to get heated

Is there anything to be done?

Thanks in advance

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corel-error.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	44618  
    IP

Default Re: painter IX.5 error message

Assuming that you are on a PC - did you reboot the machine after uninstalling? Some elements do not get completely cleared unless you reboot.

Have you tried installing to another machine and/or disk drive?

What OS version? Have you upgraded anything else about the time this happened?

Christine
    IP

Hi John

Trying the software on another machine as Christine suggests is a very good way of indicating whether painter is at fault - which, since it is genuine Corel, is probably not the most likely cause.

Again - what has been recently installed needs to be looked at - antivirus needs to be checked and run - hardware needs to be checked too.

Frankly a problem like this, pretty unspecific, might take a bit of tracking down.

Some possibilites:

A dll or other conflict with recently installed software
    A false positive on antivirus that has disabled something in error
    A virus that has infected your machine
    A hardware fault that has caused a corruption

Any problems with anything else?

EDIT: one thing you can try: after updating your antivirus and scanning with it, disconnect from the internet, disable the antivirus, and then uninstall/reinstall painter. Give it a quick test and then reinstate antivirus and internet. Sometimes antivirus programs interfere with installation. The same goes for antispyware and 'system tweak' programs, which if running in the background can also cause problems. If you are not running antivirus software, oh dear, thats a problem in itself.
    Last edited by handrawn; 22 January 2008 at 07:48 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Hi Christine and Steve, thanks for replying

I'm on Windows XP Home SP2, have AVG and Spy Sweeper (not at same time) and a firewall. PC clear of bugs - regular sweeps, checks with Everest for systems faults, HiJackthis and PC Optimize logs, etc etc. Only thing I did last year was raise RAM to 1 GB (it's now 3 GB with an Nvidia Ge Force card with it's own 500 MB RAM and system professionaly checked - still no joy with re-installing). No problems with anything else whatsoever (including Corel office, which I've now had to uninstall completely as well in case of lingering shared dll's etc).

Painter was working for a couple of months after this upgrade (and wouldn't have worked at all if the original had been corrupt in some way**). When I first contacted them they suggested I uninstall and they sent me a mail including detailed instructions how to do this along with a link to download the program again. No joy. Tried again (after going through uninstall process again) with no luck. Person I was in contact with sent link to a ZAP, which had no mention of Painter but on her insistence I used that - reinstalled, no joy. Person said I was trying to install trial and sent link .... to same trial download (!!). She realised this was wrong so sent new mail - with same link! She said she would get back to me ASAP. One month later (me being a patient chap normally and having a heart condition I try to avoid stress) I phoned again, got different person who, when I told her the first person had hinted I had not bought from Corel, spent 30 seconds finding the evidence that I had done. This person sent me link to a ZIP file, which on download contained absolutely nothing. Sent link to me again - same nothingness!

I sent e-mail to 1st person, who sent same uninstall instructions and same duff link. She also said I had not bought from Corel. I replied with a copy of the confirmation mail they had sent, pointed out that person 2 had had no trouble verifying my purchase and I told her (very politely) that I didn't like the implication, especially in the face of evidence. She replied that 'they' were only trying to help and she would get back to me. That was in the last week of November.

No disks, all downloads. Including the 2 year download insurance thing that allows me to re-download the program if needed, which person No1 realised from the first.

Since I've started using TG I've noticed the Corel forums but didn't think you'd want all this Only because it's getting near the end of the 2 year period have I, out of desperation, tried posting here. I apologise for what probably sounds like a whinge but the more I think of it the more aggrieved I feel at what I perceive to be Corel's baulking (links to trial software - more than once - and empty ZIP files) and the fact I cannot use any of Corel's products I have (all paid for and legit!)

Everyone on TG is so nice and helpful - I don't want you to think I'm having a go at you on the Corel branch because I'm not. I wouldn't have whinged on here if I could get 'customer support' to do their job. Just want a working program.

Thanks for listening

John

ps I noticed in some posts on here that 2 years ago people were having trouble with the upgrade download. Their problem was 'resolved' thru Steve Szoczie as I mentioned in the PM to you Christine. Is he still about?

pps Did re-install etc with av and firewall off. Tried one uninstall/reinstall in safe mode.

** Having checked back through my e-mails I think that originally I did not go past the Painter IX trial version but I took advantage of the May 2006 offer of buying the IX.5 upgrade at a reduced price. This means the program was working for about 17 months. Didn't use it regularly [not as accessible as Xara!] but use it I did. Please don't get me wrong, at first I would've quite happily accepted that the something wrong was my doing (though sure in myself it wasn't something I did wrong), but it strikes me they don't want to fulfill their obligations re the download insurance. Sorry, but that's how I feel.
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 22 January 2008 at 11:35 AM.
    IP

John,

Yes, Steve Szoczei is still around, and you can contact him via e-mail at:

steve.szoczei@corel.com

Good luck! It sounds like you've been through far too much.

Jinny
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Hi Jinny

Thank you very much for that I've sent a mail so we'll see what happens.

As I said, I'm not one for confrontation as a rule but banging my head against a brick-wall ain't fun either

Much appreciate your time

John
    IP

Good Luck John - whatever it is hope you get it sorted soon.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thanks Steve

John
    IP

John

Do let us know how you get on with this.

Christine
    IP

Will do

John
    IP