Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please tell me whats happening on Xara for Mac OS X!

I've been waiting for Xara to become available for the Mac for the past year and a half now. In this time I've been waiting for it to actually come out. I've also been looking for any chatter about it's progress.

Nothing. Not one thing has been said in the last 9 months.

My question is there actually anything development?

People say it's on the horizon by not saying how many people are working on it and to what degree. Could someone 'in the know' please direct me to the place I've not been looking or just say Yes it's being worked on look at 3-4 months/2-3 years or just say never or something! Then we can start making alternative arrangements like bootcamp or something to that effect.

The reason it's taking me so long to make this post was because of the poll "Apple Mac what that?" and I saw that more people use Macs often than people who say they use a PC and are perfectly happy. It was only by a percent but doesn't suggest there is somewhat more of a market in the Mac OS X platform??!?! (according to this little poll) isn't this forum suppose to be where all the Xara artists meet?

Please can someone give me reassuring advice

Default Re: Please tell me whats happening on Xara for Mac OS X!

Hi Paddington,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

There has been little information coming from Xara Ltd. in the past few months. Typically this indicates they are hard at work on a new release but until they provide some input we are in the dark as to what they are working on.

I do know their website has job postings asking for Mac C/C++ developers. This is probably a good sign they are possibly working on a Mac version. Another good point is the Mac is now running on Intel processors. The core code that gives Xara Xtreme it's great speed is written in Assembly language for the Intel processors.

Xara Ltd. does not release any information about their on going development projects. Which is excellent business sense so the competition is as uninformed as anyone outside the development team.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Just for your information Paddington. Generally this forum is for users of Xara not employees or owners. Although sometimes Xara officials do visit here, it is easily possible that no-one from Xara will read your question. We are as much in the dark as you are
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

OK thanks There are good signs out there that Xara is be ported for Macs. Just getting impatient because I miss it

Thanks

Henk

Hi Paddington

I use Xara on a Mac via Parallels Desktop: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

It works fine!

Best,
    Amanda

My bin is ready to accept my PC incl. Windows, which will happen when Xara for Mac is available...
    All young people below 20 are already using Mac, ipod, iPhone etc...
    Companies will have to follow, when all these young people have finished studying. Then no market for last millenium OS and software.

Quote Originally Posted by TheViking View Post
    All young people below 20 are already using Mac, ipod, iPhone etc...
    Might be true in Denmark I suppose...
    Most under 20's here wouldn't want a Apple computer even if you gave it to them.

More power to the 20 year olds if they can make the entire computer industry throw away windows just because they like ipods and apples. Somehow I don't see that happening in the next year or two...
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

I don't see it happening in the next 50 years.

Apple has consistantly been the lowest volume in the industry worldwide.

Apple has been in business making desktop computers 8 years longer than IBM and Microsoft's Operating Systems. They have lost margin rather than gaining over the past 30+ years.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I remember Amigas and Atari computers that where so much better than Ibms pc, offering better chips, video, sound and user interface. And somehow...

Marc