Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A thought on .svg

Something has been going through my mind about this whole "convert .xar to .svg" import / export issue
    Would it not make more sense to try to create the ability to "save as" an .svg rather than "export" as .svg??
    To have the ability to save an image created with xara as either a .xar, or an .svg?

Even Inkscape does not "export" as .svg.... it "saves as" .svg.

Could it be, that this entire issue has been looked at from the entirely wrong perspective?
    It's just a thought... after all, I am rather "techo-impaired"
    IP

Default Re: A thought on .svg

Paul Inkscape's native format is .svg. Xara's native format is .xar so saving is to native format.

For Xara .svg is a foreign format and would therefore be an export and/or import option.

At least that is how I see it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

True in XARA's case, but I notice in CorelDrawX3 the main difference between 'Export' and 'Saves As', is that Exporting includes common RASTER file types (bmp, jpg, png, gif, tiff etc), where 'Saves As' doesn't.
    The 'Save As' still has many files types to select from.

I think Xaras model makes more sense frankly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	save_as.png 
Views:	606 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	44576  
    IP

My thought was, if only inkscape and xara, were able to implement each other's "save as" scripts (or what have you) it might actually be an easier work around than trying to find a way to convert them??
    I understand the format ideology, but.. isn't the "save as" process, what defines which format the document is to be processed as? So, if you draw an image in any software... it is not in any format, until it is saved as which ever format... I'm just wondering if this would be worth looking into some more, seriously.

It seems Corel saw this and understood it, and implemented it?
    IP

My logic appears to differ from yours Paul..

If I went to a Chinese take-away, it would be reasonable to assume that I wanted a Chinese meal.
    If when presented with the meal I asked them if I could have it presented as a Döner kebab instead, they may be able to do this only if they have the proper means and are fully aware of what a Döner kebab should look like.

However if I really wanted a Kebab in the first place, I'd certainly be better off going to a Kebab shop first (if there was one in my town).

Corel tries to be a Shopping Mall, while Xara is a specialty shop.
    IP

Paul

The information that is held internally in xara and inkscape is coded [programmed] in particular ways - I have not seen either programs code in any detail, but its a safe bet they are different.

save
    and export are just words - whatever name you tag the conversion process with you cannot just tack one programs onto another, because if you like they may be doing the same thing but they speak a different language - they will not be able to understand each others 'scripting' - they will be looking for the information in all the wrong places.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Ahhh, so I guess what's been going through my mind is... a "poo-poo for 2"
    Ok, well..... there goes another theory out the window
    Too bad, I had thought this might be a valid thought (cuz I only get about 1 or 2 a year)

But hey, that's life in the cookie jar. And since we're all such tiny little crumbs, it just doesn't matter

Thanks for the input guys... I can always rely on you to steer me away from certain doom I was actually gonna load both xara lx & inkscape onto a spare pc and disect them completely to see if I could pull off a Frankenstien I think it may have caused me to go completely insane..... (er)
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by geminiguy View Post
    ..I was actually gonna load both xara lx & inkscape onto a spare pc and disect them completely to see if I could pull off a Frankenstien I think it may have caused me to go completely insane..... (er)
    For goodness sake Paul, don't let anyone here stop you from going insane..
    Please slip into your white coat, enter your lab and experiment.. You never know what you might discover!
    IP

That's "Dr. Paul" to you

I might just do it.... what's the worst that could happen ?..... right?

right?
    IP

you have one vast shopping mall several miles long and in your hand is a list of every item for sale in that mall and where to find it

in the next town is another identical mall - but - you guessed it - all the items are in completely different places, so you have to make a list that cross references...
    - but wait, those darn store people keep moving things around so you need to... this is where it gets difficult
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP