Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A thought on .svg

I wish that inkscape and Xara would play nice together. There are some features in Xara I like that are not in Inkscape, but I simply cannot find a file format that allows for an editable file to be shared between the two. Why is that?
    IP

PDF offers quite a lot of cross-app editing.. There are some things/effects to avoid however.
    IP

Steve the Linux version of Xtreme does not have PDF export or import.

There has been very little development on the linux version by the open source community.

The members here are users of the software and not developers. Although some developers visit from time to time.

Giminiguy may be able to provide more information. He is more familiar with happenings in the Linux area.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Steve the Linux version of Xtreme does not have PDF export or import.
    Hmmm - I thought it did when I gave it a whirl under Ubuntu about a month ago
    Unable to check as the HDD was needed so Ubuntu had to go.
    Oh well - hazy memory

Bill.... Have you spent some time in New Zealand ?
    IP

I booted up my Linux machine and XaraLX can import pdf but can only export jpg, gif, and png.

Steve I haven't spent any time in New Zealand. South East Asia, Philipines, Okinawa, Honshu, and Korea were areas I spent a lot of time. A couple of days in Hong Kong and a few hours at most on some of the islands around the Pacific rim when I had time to hitch hike on the courier flights.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Yes it has the option to export as .PDF but when that is pulled into inkscape its basically treated like an imported image.

I love the brush effects from Xara, but I can get similar effects in Inkscape. I would use Xara more if it was more robust and able to interact with programs like Inkscape better.
    IP

Even under Windows, many of Xara's effects are way ahead of other vector apps ability to reproduce
    Best sticking to shapes and text without effects when cross-app editing.

Inkscapes Cairo PDF to Xara seems to work well in my (limited) testing
    IP

if you are exporting pdf from inkscape to xarapro - do NOT mix bitmap and vector - strip out the bitmaps first and reinsert them when the vector only pdf has been imported into xara - else you are liable to get errors.

that said this is my experience with inkscape 045/46 on windows XP - may be different on linux of course
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Steve I haven't spent any time in New Zealand.
    That's fine - I'm having a poke at your 'spilling' in post 13.. The NZ accent often leans to the pronunciation of 'e' as an 'i' (and vice-versa for some words)

Makes going to the bottle shop (liquor store) and asking for a six-pack quite amusing ...
    IP

Ah...it is amusing to the locals when I say pen for a writing tool and they pronounce it as pin.

My spelling and word pronunciation have suffered from being exposed to too many languages. Over the years they have mingled within my memory and corrupted any elementary instructions from my teachers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP