Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xara3d6-Hanging

Default Xara3d6-Hanging

Hi,
    I have a problem. first I have a 2Gh 2GB memory and 512MB memeory accelerator with windows XP Home. I upgraded to XaraXtreme Pro and had previously purchase Xara3D6. I haven;t used the Xara3D6 for sometime but decided to try and create something.
    Problem now is when I run Xara3d6 it opens fine but I can't do anything with it, if I try and import...freezes, if I try and open file it freezes.
    any suggestions..I have un-installed 3 times 2 with the purchased version and once with the version that came with my Xtreme Pro.
    Jim

Default Re: Xara3d6-Hanging

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear of your woes. I've no cure I'm afraid. I've been running XXP and X3D6 on my machine which is now ancient and nowhere near your specs with no problem. (XP Home)

Only thing I can suggest other than what you've already done is uninstall both X3D & XXP and load them both again.

Other than this it's over to Xara Support.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg,
    I have done what you suggested and uninstalled both programs. re-installed them and it didn't help. I installed on wifes computer everything was fine. I tried reinstalling to my own and same problem.
    So i went to Xaara support and got a runaround there trying to submit a ticket.
    I again thank you very much for your help
    Jim

Here are some other areas to consider when troubleshooting application errors. Often the application is reacting to a problem on the host PC which is not a direct result of the Application itself.

Do you have a Firewall installed?
    Have you scanned your PC to ensure there are no viruses or any malware lurking? (disable system restore before doing a full scan).
    Is your PC blowing very warm to hot air out from the PSU (at the rear of your case).
    Are the PSU voltage rails steady (check system BIOS under HARDWARE HEALTH for this). Unusual fluctuations +/- 5v or more will cause operating problems. The CPU may be the brain, but the PSU is the heart. If it cannot supply power reliably to the system, then you're in trouble.
    Are there any grinding or unusually loud whirring noises that start when you turn on your PC then disappear after a while. Fans don't last forever.
    You say you have a 512mb Graphics card. Does it have a fan cooler? Is the fan still spinning? Overheating GPU's don't like hard work.
    Is the inside of your PC dust and web free, no freeloaders living inside?
    Have you scanned your HDD/s for errors? Tested your RAM for errors?

Also, with the Graphics card, sometimes new drivers can fix or create problems. Often a roll back to earlier versions can solve issues.

thanks Sledger,
    I just put in the new accelerator card GEforce 7300GT PCI-E 512MB memory which came with a new fan., and when installing I blew out the inside of the computer housing,including the processor cooler fan, I usually do this maintenance every two to three months ( or try too).
    I thnik the problem after all my re-installs is the program is looking for the default image which it can't find. On re-installing I re-installed to different Drives trying to see if that was problem.
    I will wait and see if any other programs have problems in the next few days, then try again.
    Thanks for advice
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Unusual fluctuations +/- 5v or more will cause operating problems.
    Steve is that 5V or 0.5V ?

5V seems a lot to me
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

PC power supplies typically have +3.3V, +5V, and +12V connectors. Some older power supplies did not have the +3.3V but they did have a -12V connector.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_power_supply
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

thats what I thought - so a fluctuation of +/- 5V is a lot
    or have I mis-read it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Some components require the +5V to function. Those components may still function but exhibit erratic behaviour if the voltage drops by as little as 1.2V. Components using the 3.3V can suffer with even less of a drop.

The +12V and -12V connectors were originally for the voltage on the COM (RS-232) ports and still do so on motherboards with COM ports. They can be stepped down or even up for other purposes as new technology becomes available.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

yes Bill sorry - we are at cross purposes here - I build my own computers - I'm familiar with what rails there are

But I read Unusual fluctuations +/- 5v or more will cause operating problems to mean if a voltage on a rail varies by an amount of up to 5V either way - thats what a fluctuation is?
    Nothing lasts forever...