Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have a cdr that's laid out for a B4 cmy print for my Seiko 4104, PS level 1. The file size is reported as 228k in Explorer and/or C9, but when I send it to print, the file is queued as 25.7 MB and takes about 40 minutes to print...

there is a 38k jpg in the cdr, some regular text and a drop shadow in 30% black...all of the text has been converted to curves but that made no difference...still shows at 25.7 mb...

Can someone give me an idea as to what is going on here?

Thanks

Bob
    IP

I have a cdr that's laid out for a B4 cmy print for my Seiko 4104, PS level 1. The file size is reported as 228k in Explorer and/or C9, but when I send it to print, the file is queued as 25.7 MB and takes about 40 minutes to print...

there is a 38k jpg in the cdr, some regular text and a drop shadow in 30% black...all of the text has been converted to curves but that made no difference...still shows at 25.7 mb...

Can someone give me an idea as to what is going on here?

Thanks

Bob
    IP

I think the most common cause for what you are discribing is the printers resolution setting, I don't have a Seiko printer so I can't say for sure that this is the case in your case, but it could be, try reducing the resolution to see if it improves.
    IP

I drew a big black box and gave it a drop shadow. Following are the print file sizes using various options:
    1) Print to ps file for Xerox Docutech 6135 (600 dpi, 85 lpi): 1.6 Mb
    2) Print to Draw 9's "Device Independent Postscript File" (resolution indeterminable): 51.0 Mb
    3) Separate the drop shadow, convert it from 300 ppi CMYK to 200 ppi grayscale, and print to the DIPF: 5.8 Mb
    IP

I don't remember what version of CDRAW you are using but each version does have some tidbits to help with this stuff.

1. Rendering Resolution - if you're going to a dye sub printer with a line screen of ~ 90 lpi then try dropping Rendering Resolution to 180 dpi (version 9) or the resolution key in the page setup dialog (version 7 and 8). This will force CorelDRAW to create the dropshadows (bitmaps) at a lower resolution.

2. If they have already been created (as in your case) check the special settings in the print dialog and foce the downsample of bitmaps.

Big
    IP