Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default I can not explain this effect

I was creating graphics. After I created my last graphic, I rolled my chair backwards to stand. I glanced back at my monitor's screen and I notice that my graphic had an odd effect. The rust colored border appeared be separated from the blue background as if it was a 3D image. I also notices that as I swiveled my chair around, the foreground would remain stationary and the backgrounds would move from side to side. I asked a couple of friend to view the posted image, they both advised that they could see the same effects that I could see. After a period of time, my wife could see some separation of the foreground and the background, but not the movement of the background. She is also unable to view stereograms. It is best seen when view at about three feet from the screen. See if you can see the effect. I posted the graphic at http://goldenwebpage.com/test/test3d.htm
    Last edited by laser1; 17 January 2008 at 09:09 PM.

Default Re: I can not explain this effect

Nup - doesn't nothing for me.

But then, neither do stereograms...
    Perhaps a mind altering substance is first required?

I see the 3D effect. I believe it is due to the colours you used and the way our eyes perceive colour.

Try reversing the colours so the gold like effect is on the letter (background) and the blue is on the rippled/crumpled foreground.

The forground and background should changed their perceived relationship. The letter should be forward and the crumpled area should be back.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquili,

I believe that you are correct...

Depth can be achieved by using cool and warm colours. Warm ones seem to be closer to the viewer --- cooler ones further back. It's used in digital design and painting. Great landscape artists can achieve an amazing sense of depth in their paintings using colour.

Did a quick Google search, and found this that elaborates a bit:

http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?...icle&artid=431

Risto

Risto and Bill are absolutely correct. When you use cold & warm colors seperatly in an identical pattern and off-set them, you get a 3D effect.... just think of 3D glasses, red & blue
    Another way to get this, is to have a bold & clean image to the front, and produce a blurred image to the background... sometimes adding a slight shadow effect to the front object can increase the visual perseption

BTW: nice link Risto thanks

Thank you for the informative information...

God bless you and yours...

George...
    http://www.goldenwebpage.com

The idea of the effect of cool warm color combinations has been around for at least 40 to 50 years. I learned about it in the third grade, and I am 51. The colors that you chose, are very close to perfect for presenting the effect. If you would like to see some very wild stuff, you can order a set of chromadepth glasses at the following website.

http://www.chromatek.com/

One word of caution though, it is addictive, and you will never look at anything the same way again.