Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about pixel size

What I am trying to do is create a poster to be printed out on WalMarts web site. On their site it says to print a poster that is 16x20 the resolution needs to be 1800x1440, however when I make my poster that size and upload it to the site it says the resolution is not good enough. I don't know enough about it to get it corrected and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time!
    IP

Default Re: Question about pixel size

Hi MzAngie and welcome to TG

without a link to the site and more details of what is actually said when you try to upload its a bit difficult to say - but one thing I notice:

16x20 is ratio 1440x1800 not 1800x1440 - worth checking you have the dimensions the right way round?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Thanks for the warm welcome handrawn. I wouldn't know how to post the site without you having to log onto my account at Walmart.

I am going to try switching the ratio around to see if that works. I didn't think of that. LOL!
    IP

MzAngie what is the source image you want to print? Do you know what resolution it is before you change the dimensions?

When I visited the WalMart website it would not provide information about what is expected for resolution without having an account.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I am trying to print a jpeg. Is that what you are asking?

This is what I am trying to create into a poster. I was able to make it to a size that I could print it out at 12x18 on the Walmart size and then I decided I wanted to try to make it bigger.

I started out with a space that is 1440x1800. I made that layer white and then added another layer with a picture. I mearged them and then saved it as a jpeg.

This is what Walmart shows as the resolution needed.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...her/Image3.jpg

And this is what I am trying to make.....

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...inopher/50.jpg
    IP

ok it seems that all the resolutions are quoted that way round

anyway - when you have exported your file from paint shop pro - right click the file and click properties and then look at the summary [you may need to click the advanced button - does it show the pixel dimensions that you require? if not then the settings were probably not right when you exported it

an example shown below
    I am assuming you are using a windows PC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diaslog.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	44435  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...her/Image4.jpg

This is what it is showing me which would seem to be correct....right?

Sorry if I am coming off as a complete idiot. LOL. I really didn't think it was going to be this difficult to figure out.
    IP

Try this. Rotate it 90 degrees and then upload it.

Your res' is right, but judging by your screenshot their system may be expecting 1800wx14400h (landscape orientation).

Might be as simple/silly as that?
    IP

Sledger/Handrawn,

Is the 2540 dpi (which seems rather high to me) going to cause any problems. I would have expected something somewhat lower (90 d.p.i.) to give a 16" x 20" finished product.

I must reread the threads about d.p.i. and pixels I don't understand them enough to be intelligent.

Just as an aside, why does a wallet size print have to be at almost twice the resolution of a 5" x 7"?
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 15 January 2008 at 02:17 AM.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

The dpi/ppi/spi/lpi debate is one I will no longer enter into. There are far too many misunderstandings on the web. I'm satisfied with my knowledge so am happy to live and let live on this one

As they say. "The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from"
    IP