Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterfalls

If by matrix, you mean battery, the manual says 1000 or 700 with flash. This depends on temperature and use of the monitor and holding the shooting button half way. AT 0C it is 750 and 550. I would have to look at the specific battery they tested. I have a high speed CF card. It appear to initialize quickly. Then lense surely is fast. I bought an 80-400mm lense, too. I have mostly been reading the manual to determine how it works.

I am testing the E10 for battery power. I would take a couple of shots, and it would turn off. I put in standard M3 batteries and it worked fine. I measured the rechargeable batteries, and I was getting 5 VDC from four in series. I am charging them and will look at the voltage again.

We may go to Carmel this week and take a few shots. Rich

Rich, you mentioned that you have made about 20,000 shots with your previous camera. I mean how long does an average matrix last.

Nikolai,

I don't understand the term matrix. I have been looking at the E10 for performance. I found that the rechargeable batteries only appeared to be charges. I would have expected near 6 VDC, but after a long charge and a day dwell, they were reading 5.4 VDC. I think this was too low and affected the camera as far as staying on. The Duracell M3s that I tried worked well, and were 5.92 VDC. I don't know the life expectancy of a camera. Rich

We are just back from Carmel and running the dogs on the beach. A photo of a wave. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carmel0031.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	4192  

Rich that is a GREAT SHOT!!!
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

Hi Rich,

I think nikolai means the CCD inside the camera. How many pictures can the thing take before the colors start to wash out, or you get drop offs... Without throwing it in the ocean of course. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

John,

I didn't find any information except that Olympus estimated a life expectancy similar to a film camera. It didn't say expectancy of what. Meaningless information to me.

Apparently point and shoot cameras may have a mean life of 10,000 cycles, and the SLRs are somewhat better.

I would guess the E10 is at the end of its life cycle. The internal moisture could have contaminated to CCD. I have been concerned that it was not stable when installing a fresh recharge set of batteries. I have another type of rechargeable batteries, and was getting the same indication. I measured similar voltages on those batteries. The M3s appear to work, but I haven't seen how long they last. I never liked the initiaization time. It came standard with a 32 MB card. With a larger memory card, the start time is much longer. I would worry about salt water effects. I don't think the camera is sealed very well. It isn't worth repairing since the cost of any repair would exceed the value.

Rich

Hi Rich,

You could always get a gallon of medical grade grain alcohol and dunk it in that after disassembly. That stuff dries virtually residue free. Just do not try to quicking drying process. Grain has a flash point around 50 degrees, and burns with a nice blue flame. We used to use it to clean circuit boards. Real good stuff. Could not drink it tho... had about .1% acid mixed with it. Just enough to kill ya (if 199 proof alcohol would not kill some brain cells on it's own).

I cleaned a printer one time to get it to work. After the plastic melted, I threw it in the trash.

Having a fixed lense would not make an easy disasembly. Probably never get together again. The fasteners may not be removeable due to the corrosion. I don't think I would want to break one off.

I am going to disassemble a tree later today. Probably some alcohol after the disassembly. I am not allowed to climb trees, and I have to devise ways to remove them from the ground. I was fortunate the one dropped the other day didn't destroy too many things.

Rich

Name:	Carmel0019.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	9176  

thanks for replying. I still would like to know how long an averange digital camera matrix will last. rich, i have your images of waves in my archives and look them through every now and then. superb!

A photo of Mook. Rich

Name:	Mook0013.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	11658