Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PS CS 3 & XXpro 3.24

I can export a PSD from Xara and open it successfully in Photoshop CS3. I can get text to come across as text.

OTOH when I save a PSD from CS3 with text in it, I always get this message "PSD file contains unsupported text layers" and the text is rasterized. Not what I expect or want.

Does anyone know: Is this considered a defect (I hope) and will it be addressed soon?

Thanks

Eric

Default Re: PS CS 3 & XXpro 3.24

I doubt it's a defect or bug. If you import a PSD with text layer into CoredlDrawX3 the text is also rasterised as well.
    Adobe Illustrator will open a PS produced PSD and retain text as editable.
    You could open in AI then export as a PDF for importing into Xara?
    (Exporting a PDF from PS doesn't work well either.)
    At the end of the day, PS is a raster editor - so i'd be more inclined to praise Xara for actually exporting to a PSD format that PhotoShop can actually work with, rather than thinking that Xara is failing when trying to open whatever PS produced.

But is there a reason for not creating the text in Xara?

Have you tried saving the file as a PS7 or earlier?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

In my version of PS CS3 there is no option to save in legacy PSD formats.

ouch... even in save as?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

just re-do the text in PS or rasterize it again in PS then you won't get that unsupported text notification....

Quote Originally Posted by Tao jones View Post
    just re-do the text in PS or rasterize it again in PS then you won't get that unsupported text notification....
    I think evogel99 wants to retain the text 'un-rasterized'

John
    ouch... even in save as?
    Saving a 'new' file is technically the same 'save as'.
    Choosing 'Save as' for a file previously created is the same as saving a
    new' file.
    So basically no - there are no options in CS3 save dialogue for saving in an earlier format of the .psd file type.
    Though I am not a PS power user, so if I'm wrong, someone is sure to correct me..

It can't be done...you would have to do your work in PS without text then bring it back into xara and then do the text last to keep text vector.

Exactly - I'd like Xara to retain the text as text.

I'm certainly NOT criticizing Xara. I'm trying to avoid buying Illustrator because I have and like Xara!

I'd just like symmetrical treatment of the layers. I applaud Xara for exporting a decent PSD. And Xara can import the PSD that it exports. I am disappointed that it can't import a PSD file from CS3.

Based on the comments about PS 7, it sounds like Xara used to be able to import a PSD created in PS, but now it can't. So, that leads to my original question, bug or feature to be released soon?

Quote Originally Posted by evogel99 View Post
    I'd just like symmetrical treatment of the layers. I applaud Xara for exporting a decent PSD. And Xara can import the PSD that it exports. I am disappointed that it can't import a PSD file from CS3.
    So, that leads to my original question, bug or feature to be released soon?
    Don't be disapointed, remember, CorelDraw and many other apps also cannot import a .psd with anything but rasterised text.
    As I said, I doubt it's a bug of any third party software. The important thing is Ps is a raster editor, sure it can export paths as .ai vector lines - but that's about it.
    Because Illustrator can understand and keep the text editable from a Ps produced .psd is infact unsuprising.