Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: RAW File Format

Greetings,

I have a simple 3 colour image (white, blue, black) that is 2000x2000 pixels in size. It is a grid, where the gridlines are black, and squares are either filled with white or blue.

What I want to do is to find out the information for each x,y coordinate and import that information into a spreadsheet, like Excel. For example, let's say that the x,y = 200, 400 (ie: the pixel is located 200 pixels across from the left, and 400 up from the bottom of the image).

If that pixel is black, I want to be able to convert that information so that I can read it in Excel. I don't care whether it is defined as white = 1, black = 2, blue =3, or whether it is defined as white = FFFFFF, black = 000000, blue = 0000FF, or whether it is defined as white = 255-255-255, black = 0-0-0, blue = 0-0-255. I can use Excel to extract the information I need.

According to the Photoshop help files, the RAW format should be the one I use, but I am having problems with it.

Every time I save the file in RAW format and try to open it with Excel, I just get the same character (a "y" with two dots above it (umlaut?)) about 200 times, with no spaces between characters.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Or can anyone suggest a program (eg: shareware utility) that would do what I want - ie: convert an image to a text file, where each pixel was represented?

You can either reply here, or directly to me via t.cox@landfood.unimelb.edu.au

Thanks in advance,

Trav.
    IP

Greetings,

I have a simple 3 colour image (white, blue, black) that is 2000x2000 pixels in size. It is a grid, where the gridlines are black, and squares are either filled with white or blue.

What I want to do is to find out the information for each x,y coordinate and import that information into a spreadsheet, like Excel. For example, let's say that the x,y = 200, 400 (ie: the pixel is located 200 pixels across from the left, and 400 up from the bottom of the image).

If that pixel is black, I want to be able to convert that information so that I can read it in Excel. I don't care whether it is defined as white = 1, black = 2, blue =3, or whether it is defined as white = FFFFFF, black = 000000, blue = 0000FF, or whether it is defined as white = 255-255-255, black = 0-0-0, blue = 0-0-255. I can use Excel to extract the information I need.

According to the Photoshop help files, the RAW format should be the one I use, but I am having problems with it.

Every time I save the file in RAW format and try to open it with Excel, I just get the same character (a "y" with two dots above it (umlaut?)) about 200 times, with no spaces between characters.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Or can anyone suggest a program (eg: shareware utility) that would do what I want - ie: convert an image to a text file, where each pixel was represented?

You can either reply here, or directly to me via t.cox@landfood.unimelb.edu.au

Thanks in advance,

Trav.
    IP