Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara movies again.

I have had problems in the past with the Xara Movies not working from within Help. This has been solved (or not) in a number of ways in the past.
    Recently I did a repair install of XP after a driver problem had left it working weirdly, pressing r at the appropriate moment during installation.
    After all the nonsense had concluded I was back in Windows with only IE7 rolling back to IE6 and media player 11 rolling back to whatever it is as the only casualties of the repair.
    Of course the xara movies had stopped working as well but thats taken as a given.
    One problem I found I did have however was that the Windows updates now wouldn't install and there were a lot of them, presumably because it was seen as a fresh installation of XP. I recently found a fix for this problem here:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...l/1123680932/1

The plus side of all this nonsense is that the Xara Movies also now work. I don't want to watch any of them but I don't like things not working.
    If anyone is having trouble with Movies try the repair tool at the above link..it might do the job. There is an explanation of how it works and what it does on the site if you can stay awake long enough to read it, I managed to and I feel my life to have been enriched.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 06 December 2007 at 12:26 PM.

Default Re: Xara movies again.

I've had this annoying problem with the movies, and with scripting errors in most other application's help files, for as long as I can remember (even with a brand new XP install on a separate computer).

I always thought that it had something to do with Internet Explorer (IE), but no matter how I tweaked the settings, I couldn't get a result.

I downloaded "Windows Update Repair Tool" from your link, to see if it could magically fix the problem and let it re-install IE 6. It didn't work, but it reminded me that I hadn't done a Windows update for months.

Anyhoo, 86 critical patches later and an upgrade of IE to version 7, I have my movie links back and all the other problematic help files function properly.

So, thanks Derek for solving my problem, albeit in a roundabout way.
    -- Bob