Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xara X1 Text

Default Xara X1 Text

Is there a way to do "Outline" text for an .ai export from X1?

Default Re: Xara X1 Text

It will depend on the type of font that is used as some of Xara's font are not recognised by Illy. Just type away in Xara and give the outline thickness that you want and then remove fill colour down on the bottom left of your screen by clicking the grid style box. After that just export as PDF clicking on the Commercial Printing presets that the dialogue box brings up.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Since text is outlines, I am not sure what you would gain. When you import the text into Illustrator and switch to Outline View you will see the the text is a filled outline. Just change the fill and or outline.

Here's a tip. Create two versions of the text. Apply an outline to the text, clone the text and remove the outline. This way the integrity of the text is not compromised by the outline.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outlines.gif 
Views:	354 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	43567  

Unhappy Re: Xara X1 Text

My printer asked me to send the fonts as outlines.
    I don't know why.

The reason he asked to send the text as outlines means that you don't need to send the font to him as well as the PDF file as it may cost you money to do so. Also he doesn't mean the the text as an outline as Gary and I have demo'd he means convert the text to shapes. The way that you do that is to hold down Shift+ctrl+S with the text selected all text will be convert to a graphic and when he opens the file it does not give him a error message stating the "X" font is missing. Also if you miss that there is a tick box with your Export as PDF that will convert text to shapes as well.

Thanks.............makes sense.
    But he only wants .ai files for some reason.

If he only wants it in AI format and you have only X1 then you can't give it to him in PDF, sorry should have noticed your topic heading, just export it as an AI eps file after creating outline text. He will be able to open it but it would depend on the version of Illy your printer has sometimes he would need to place it if he using the the most up to date version.

Smack upside the head!

Outlines, of course. Ack.

When you convert a font to editable shapes (Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes) all text is converted to outlines. It can no longer be edited as text, but your printer does not have to have the font installed on his computer either.

When a font is converted to outlines, what Xara calls editable shapes, the text becomes a vector shape. It can be scaled up and down with no loss of quality and sharpness.

Pete - PDF is Adobe Illustrator's default file format. So if a printer is using anything other than a very archaic version of Illustrator, wouldn't he or she be able to open the PDF file? I have not done a lot of print lately so I will defer to your experience.

Gary

Gary,

I think Peter is referring to the fact that X1 can't do a PDF export.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well then here's a work around.

If the file is not huge you can e-mail it to me and I can convert it to PDF or AI for you and send it back. Send it to gary@gwpriester.com and in the subject line put Please Convert this Xara File.

There is also a website that can convert EPS files that are under 1MB to PDF up to version 7.0. Neevia.com

1. Export your document with fonts converted to editable shapes (outlines) as Xara *.eps.
    2. Check to see if the file is under 1MB.
    3. Go to Nevia.com, upload and convert the file.
    4. Save your PDF file to your desktop or a folder of your choice.

Gary