Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eyedropper issue

Hi All,

I'm a loooooooooooooong time Xara user just switched to Linux. I'm having a couple of issues.

1) Layers. I never used them, but having some issues with them on xar files I open from my old windows install.. No big deal.

2) The EYEdropper is doing weird things when I try to use it to pick a color. it is typically not working at all, and making the object "blue".

Any ideas? Running the latest stable build on Ubuntu.

Thanks

Keith
    IP

Default Re: Eyedropper issue

Hi Keith,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

The "stable" release is several months older than the 1764 build because there has been a pause in development of the Linux version until later this month. The 1764 build is very stable and I have been running it on my Debian machine since it was made available. Build 1764 also contians some bug fixes to the old stable release. I also think some features may have been added as they are working toward a version 1.0 which is to have all the features of the Windows Xara Xtreme.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Cool 1) I'll install the latest then
    Cool 2) This is a responsive forum ;-)

While I'm not a coder, I'm an avid Xara user, so hope I can be of use to the forum on the more Xara functionality level.

Best

Keith
    IP

I've installed the latest version, but still get the eyedropper bug.. basically it isn't picking up the color of the pixel that it is over.

Anyone?

Keith
    IP

Keith I cannot duplicate the bug with the Debian distro 3.1r2 and Gnome 2.8.1 GUI.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I can't duplicate this either.

It is probably worth filing a bug about including the details of your environment so the developers can help debug it.
    Jed
    IP

I had this problem on Ubuntu Breezy (and Fedora I think)
    Only if you are running xgl/compiz though.
    IP

I'm running Ubuntu Edgy, and I used to have the same problem with the eyedropper, but only on Beryl. When I switched to Metacity, the problem was gone. I'm using the past tense because I have just tried the eyedropper on Beryl, and everything seems to be working perfectly well. Yesterday Beryl 0.2.0-beta2 was released, so I think that the problem disappeared after I had installed the latest Beryl version (AIGLX).

This is my first post on this forum, so I would like to thank the Xara Team for the Linux version of Xara. This is a wonderful app, and I really hope you will keep on developing it!

Best regards,

Dorota Podrzucka
    IP

Must be XGL then.. I'm running beryl on XGL

Keith
    IP

I have the same problem using ubuntu 6.10 & the latest Beryl/XGL. I believe I submitted a bug report about this problem a while back.

With more and more Linux users using AIGLX/XGL & Compiz/Beryl, Xara devs should really look into this problem. I have not seen any other application with a color picker have this problem. Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus, Gcolor2, etc... All have color pickers that work just fine with compiz/beryl & XGL/AIGLX.

While waiting for this issue to be fixed, I have been using Gcolor2 as my picker and manually pasting the color values into xtreme. It's very inconvenient, but it allows me to continue using xtreme without sacrificing the benefits of a hardware accelerated desktop.
    IP