Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default overlay popup window inside a flash movie

I'm wanting to create a USA map, with a client's locations on it. When you click on a spot, it pops up with a frame, includes a photo and some description text. I'm just talking about an overlay in flash itself, not some annoying browser popup. Purely animated actionscript goodness.

Any recommendations on how to go about doing this properly. Or have you seen an example tutorial?

I'd like to do a zoom animation of the little frame if possible, but I'd settle for a alpha fade in I guess. I'd also like the pop up frame to sort of jump to the center from wherever the location on the map. Also needs a frame close button. So is there a way to do this simply or will I be animating every single one for each of the info frames?
    IP

Default Re: overlay popup window inside a flash movie

Hi Michael,

This isn't easy to explain but I think the best way of doing it is to create a swf with the overall map on it and on top of this have the buttons that indicate the client locations.

Now when one of these buttons are pressed they load another swf into a layer above, say layer 10. The swf (movie) in layer 10 can have a tween to smooth in the window. On finalising the tween you could have a close window icon that deletes the swf in layer 10, just leaving layer0.

All you need to do then is create the individual swfs for each client.

Try the 2 attachments by saving them in the same file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Thanks egg. After talking with my neighbor and client, he's saying he'd rather it be a self-contained movie he can send to his reps to use. So I may have to do all of it manually without even the luxury of external swfs. You totally nailed what we are gonna do. I guess the animation can just fade in similar to how you've done it and it will be a fairly streamline process. I'll keep investigating short cuts.

thanks!!!

pm me if you'd be interested in sharing the FLA and whether you have a price in mind to sell it or if you think the way I'll do it would even work with what you've built.
    IP

Hi Michael,

You can create an exe file using the same method provided you have all the swfs within the same folder so there shouldn't be any problem. In fact this is a better solution than one single swf as each rep would need to have the Flash player (i.e. A similar problem as members here used to have viewing posted swfs)

I'll PM you the FLA's - No charge.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Red face Re: overlay popup window inside a flash movie

Hello Egg,

I have the sam question. Can you please provide me fla file. I tryed and tryed but can not get right solution.

Thank you!
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/redface.gif
    Webmar
    IP

If you really want it in one movie you could use the attachMovie method instead of loadMovie. As Egg says, you would still want the loading movie to be on a Level above your main movie. I would create an empty movie which is replaced by the attached movie. Removing it would be as simple as loading your empty movie again. Each level can only contain one instance, so when you load a new movie into it, it automatically replaces that movie with the new movie. You could still create the projector file (exe) so the viewer doesn't have to have the Flash player, just like Egg said.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by RedWombat; 06 January 2008 at 04:05 PM.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Michael,

You can create an exe file using the same method provided you have all the swfs within the same folder so there shouldn't be any problem. In fact this is a better solution than one single swf as each rep would need to have the Flash player (i.e. A similar problem as members here used to have viewing posted swfs)

I'll PM you the FLA's - No charge.
    I know it is a bit cheeky to use my first post here to ask for something but I have been trying like mad to do this very same "effect" myself, albeit within the same swf file as I do not care about size of the file, but have been completely unable to get the coding right.
    Egg could you be so kind to send me the FLA's as well please?
    Thanks in advance!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by FurY2007 View Post
    I know it is a bit cheeky to use my first post here to ask for something but I have been trying like mad to do this very same "effect" myself, albeit within the same swf file as I do not care about size of the file, but have been completely unable to get the coding right.
    Egg could you be so kind to send me the FLA's as well please?
    Thanks in advance!
    Same here. I just registered because I finally found this solution. You have NO IDEA how long I have been looking for source files to work with. Every tutorial I run across is simply for java/html popups (ewww). Could you PM me the fla's as well? Pretty please?
    IP

Is this the kind of thing you mean?
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:24 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jbd123 View Post
    Could you PM me the fla's as well? Pretty please?
    Welcome to the TG forums jbd123

FYI: Your membership status precludes PM privileges until your post count exceeds 35.
    IP