Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: svg problems

Default svg problems

just installed the svg for Xara in Ubuntu. When i export an svg it won't open or import into any other programme (Scribus, Inkscape) it won't even import back into Xara. For all intents and purposes it's not working at all. All I'm able to do is export a useless file. I am able to open an inkscape svg in Xara. That works ok

Anyone know why this is happening and what the cure is.

Thanks
    Dai
    Last edited by Dai; 30 November 2007 at 10:10 PM.
    IP

Default Re: svg problems

I have had the same problem and have still to figure it out. I have gone through the dependancies list over and over.... There's got to be "something" I'm missing. I even just went through my synaptic (for pclinuxos) and did all the upgrades, etc.....
    It is a pain in the tuccas though, isn't it??
    I get friendly "diggs" from fellow Linux artists that I shouldnt use xara lx cuz anything done, which can't be exported in .svg is garbage..... (But I truly detest Inkscape) I cannot do 1/2 of what I can do with xara lx and I become quickly frustrated with it
    I'd love to try and get a team together to get this figured out and fixed, once and for all for everybody!!!!
    The svg work in the windows version just fine import & export so.... what's missing there, in the linux version??
    If you're interested Dai... keep in touch and I will see if I can get someone to take some time and really look at it??
    IP

Paul where do you download the svg for XaraLX?

I've configured a dual boot on one of my Vista machines and have PCLinuxOS installed on the second drive. I prefer using multiple drives rather than partitions on a single drive.

I'm using the (potentially unstable) 0.7 rev 1785 installed using the autopackage download.

Another question. How do I tell PCLinuxOS to not intercept the Alt key? When I try to Alt+Left click to select the object underneath the OS thinks I want to move the active window. I've checked all the config files I can think of an cannot find where that is implimented.
    Last edited by Soquili; 30 November 2007 at 11:56 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Soquili, the Alt+Left-click doesnt work in any windowmanager that binds the same hotkey to some function....unfortunaly most do.
    IP

1785 is junk. Use 1783, I have run into no bugs with it as of yet. You have to "build" an .svg filter
    Now, a friend of mine did this (his first rpm) but we can't seem to figure out why it does not work. I have retrieved all the required depnedancies through synaptic, but... something is still missing....

To build a new filter based on the XPFilter project will require creating a new copy of the source directory called something sensible for your filter, renaming (and editing) the configuration XML file and modifying some parts of the configure.in script and Makefile.am
    As the example filter is still under development (various extensions will be added to it as time goes by) it is recommended that you try to alter as little of the build framework as possible to make merging in new versions as painless as possible.
    For a hypothetical SVG filter that uses XarLib, the necessary changes would be as follows:
    Copy the XPFilter-0.2 directory as SVGFilter.
    Copy the xpxlfilter.xml file as svgfilter.xml and edit the contents appropriately. E.g.
    <FilterConfig>
    <Filter name="SVGFilter">
    <DisplayName>SVG Filter</DisplayName>
    <Extensions>svg</Extensions>
    <CanImport>svgfilter -c -f %IN%</CanImport>
    <DoImport>svgfilter -i -g -f %IN%</DoImport>
    <PrepareExport>svgfilterui -f %OUT% -x %XML%</PrepareExport>
    <DoExport>svgfilter -e -g -f %OUT% -x %XML%</DoExport>
    </Filter>
    </FilterConfig>
    Edit configure.in
    • Change the name of the project in the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE line from XPFilter to SVGFilter
    Edit Makefile.am
    • Change the names of the programs being compiled in bin_PROGRAMS. One is set directly in bin_PROGRAMS as both filters use the same xpfilterui program for the PrepareExport stage. The other is added conditionally as it needs to be a different program for each filter. You can delete the conditional setting of bin_PROGRAMS and set your new filter program names directly in bin_PROGRAMS.
    • Change the variables that start either xpfilterui_ or xpxlfilterui_ to be svgfilterui_ and svgfilter_ respectively. Delete those variables that start xpfilter_.
    • Change the relevant part of the install-data-local rule to copy the correct xml file.
    The top of Makefile.am would then look something like this:
    bin_PROGRAMS = svgfilter svgfilterui
    svgfilter_SOURCES = xpfilter.cpp xarlibfilter.cpp
    svgfilter_CPPFLAGS = $(XARLIB_CFLAGS)
    svgfilter_LDADD = $(XARLIB_LIBS)
    svgfilterui_SOURCES = xpfilterui.cpp
    install-data-local:
    mkdir -p $(DESTDIR)/usr/share/xaralx/filters/
    $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/svgfilter.xml $(DESTDIR)/usr/share/xaralx/filters
    The implementaion would then be done by replacing the content of the functions in xarlibfilter.cpp and xpfilterui.cpp. If additional source files are required then they are simply added to the relevant _SOURCES line. The framework handles all the command line parsing, XarLib initialisation etc, leaving you to concentrate just on reading and writing Xar format records.

I also have the RPM which my friend DidouPH built but I will need to ask him first. It's not public yet so bare with me on that. I'm sure if I ask him he'll be fine with it.?? Let me check and hopefully Ill post it very soon
    IP

Thanks for the information Con. I found where the behavior for the Alt key can be changed in PCLOS shortly after posting the question.

I was on my way to edit my post when I saw your reply

Paul can you post an SVG file exported from Xara LX so I can disect it to see what may be causing other apps to not read it correctly?
    Last edited by Soquili; 01 December 2007 at 12:41 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Yup... gimme a few though., I have two children not playing very nice at the moment
    IP

As far as I know, there was no SVG export filter available in the Open Source project. There was a first step of a import filter which supports only some simple SVG shapes, but nothing more. After this, the development stopped under Linux.

Remi
    IP

Hi Remi,

There have been a few independent developers working on import and export filters for XaraLX.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Perhaps I'm wrong, but AFAIK Alex and Luke were the developers of the SVG filter and their last change (with the import filter) was in June 2007.

Remi
    IP