Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Desktop icons

Hybrid View

Default Desktop icons

Does anybody know how to make the background transparent when making icons for a desktop? I have hidden the background image in the control panel,but when i save the image as an ICO file & put it on the desktop,it still has a square border around it.
    Any suggestions greatfully received!
    PMC
    IP

Default Re: Desktop icons

Make the background the exact same color as your desktop.
    -=Bob=-
    IP

Have already tried,the background on the desktop is multi coloured,so it still has a visible border around it.I have read somewhere that it is the alpha channel (which i am assuming is the base image) that dictates what colour the background is,but even with this hidden in the layer manager,it still has a border around it.
    IP

Most icon creation programs actually make the background transparent in the icon itself. How are you creating the icon? If the program is not critical, try Randy's Freeware Icon Editor at http://ranfo.com/iconedit.html, as far as I am aware, this actually creates a transparent background.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

I will probably end up doing this,because im sure i have tried everything!
    Some of the icons i have created have actual pieces of photo in them,so i was just trying to keep the quality there.
    IP