Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Helpful hints for using Frontpage with WS4

Q1: I have uploaded the website but the menu hasn’t been updated.

A: Upload the images directory manually. When you revisit your site on line, it should work. If not, simply select refresh to force Internet Explorer to use the most current updated files.

Q2: I have added a new banner or other object from Webstyle4. It appears on every page in my website.

A: There is an area at the very top of the page and down the side that may be used for menus which need to be viewed on every page. Simply move the object slightly down from the top or inward from the side. It will now only appear on the page you inserted it into.

Q3: How do I make text or a picture stay where I want it on the page?

A: Go to “Insert” at the top of the page in FrontPage. From the drop down menu select “Layer”. Layer can also be chosen directly from the tool bar. A layer box will appear on the page. You can stretch it to fill the area you want it to use. Insert text or a picture into the box. You can move the layer box anywhere you like on the page. If it appears on every page, refer to “Q2” above.

Q4: I have added a layer but it appears over the top of the menu.

A: Click on the layer box and move it.

Q5: I want to add a new page.

A: Select the tab “Web Site”. You will now see all the files belonging to your website. On the right side of the screen on the same level as the tabs, you will see a white page icon. Click on this and a new page file will appear at the bottom of the screen.

Rename the file, but remember not to change .htm

Now click on the file to open it. It will automatically have the menu on the page (though this won’t be visible until you preview the page in a browser).
    Before you do anything else, you need to name the page so that it will appear in favourites correctly (this will also be used by search engines). To do this, select “code” at the bottom left of the screen. Now you will see computer code instead of text and pictures. Go to the top of the page and a few lines down you will see:

<title>New Page 1</title>

Rename it. Here is an example:

<title>Weddings</title>

No go to the bottom left of the screen and select “Design”. You will now see the text and pictures again and you can start adding to the page.

Q6: I want to change the menu.

A: Click the little red x at the top left of a page (occasionally, for some unexplained reason, the menu might be visible so click that).

Webstyle 4 will now open. Select menus. This is where you make the alterations. Don’t forget to change the URL. Click on the line you want to change and scroll down to “Browse”. Now go to you webpages and select the correct .htm file. Then select Save and then Save and Exit. You will now be able to see your changes be previewing in a web browser.

If you want to change the look, size of colour of the menu, follow the same procedure to get to Webstyle 4 and select the option you require.

Q7: Tables. How do I use them?

A: A number of pages on the site already use tables. Text or pictures can be inserted into a cell within the table. Block the content and you can then select Centre, Left or Right Justification.

Tables may be split and merged as you require. See the Table menu at the top of the screen. If you read up on tables you will discover how to give cells borders.

Tables can be used like Layers, except that individual Layers can be moved easily to any location.

Default Re: Helpful hints for using Frontpage with WS4

Thanks Ken. Great information that answers a lot of questions for first time WS4 users that are also starting out creating web sites.
    Last edited by Soquili; 22 November 2007 at 07:26 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update