Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks Mari.

Mari,
    I read the FAQ you suggested. Thanks for the link.

So much for customer support! If Dreamweaver MX2004 is corrupting the add-in as Xara suggests, Xara should fix the add-in to make it entirely compatible with Dreamweaver rather than recommend I unintstall and reinstall Dreamweaver! I'm not having any problems whatsoever with Dreamweaver MX2004. My problem is with Xara's buggy software.

ive noticed that the faq mentioned has been altered. perhaps they have another solution!

The FAQ link mentioned above - the link is still there but the page it leads to is blank... Makes one wonder why...

This is now at least the 4th time I've had a problem with Menu Maker and Dreamweaver. Every time I either upgrade to a new version of DW or MM or there's an update (like recently, from DW MX 2004 7 to 7.01), Menu Maker goes whoopsy as described in this thread.

This is getting to be a major PITA. Last time, after upgrading from MX to MX 2004, it took me several whole days to sort the whole mess out with Xara taking a total of 4-5 days to get it sorted. They asked me to send them the menu.xml's from the DW files, then they sent them back to me having obviously altered them and I had to overwrite the original ones with theirs. It worked, so that was great although I was hugely delayed in preparing a site for somebody as a result.

Sure, worked great - till now, only a few weeks later. Now DW went totally ga-ga after the recent update, various extensions went whoopsy, and the screen jumps about like mad until I start a new document.

From what I can make out on Macromedia's site (and I'm no expert), it would seem the new 7.01 update has a slightly different configuration for extensions; so I can only imagine that whatever Xara did to my menu.xml has royally messed it up with the new update.

I am NOT a happy bunny!!! Suffice to say that I will now go find some other program to do a similar job and will not use Menu Maker for future jobs (when I sort out my messed-up DW), as this is now 2-3 cock-ups too many.

It seems that lots of peole are having trouble with this. MX2004 does have different requirements for extensions so unless one is written especially for it you can run into trouble. I never even bothered downloading it - its so easy to insert your menu manually. Go in at code level, put cursor where you want it and paste the line of code that the menu app has created. Or use insert javascript and navigate to your js files.

Thanks James

I think that's what I'll be doing from now on if and when I need, insert it manually using the JS file.

Xara, though, ought to nevertheless do something - even if only to say that integration with DW is not well supported...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by justme:
    The FAQ link mentioned above - the link is still there but the page it leads to is blank... Makes one wonder why...

This is now at least the 4th time I've had a problem with Menu Maker and Dreamweaver. Every time I either upgrade to a new version of DW or MM or there's an update (like recently, from DW MX 2004 7 to 7.01), Menu Maker goes whoopsy as described in this thread.

This is getting to be a major PITA. Last time, after upgrading from MX to MX 2004, it took me several whole days to sort the whole mess out with Xara taking a total of 4-5 days to get it sorted. They asked me to send them the menu.xml's from the DW files, then they sent them back to me having obviously altered them and I had to overwrite the original ones with theirs. It worked, so that was great although I was hugely delayed in preparing a site for somebody as a result.

Sure, worked great - till now, only a few weeks later. Now DW went totally ga-ga after the recent update, various extensions went whoopsy, and the screen jumps about like mad until I start a new document.

From what I can make out on Macromedia's site (and I'm no expert), it would seem the new 7.01 update has a slightly different configuration for extensions; so I can only imagine that whatever Xara did to my menu.xml has royally messed it up with the new update.

I am NOT a happy bunny!!! Suffice to say that I will now go find some other program to do a similar job and will not use Menu Maker for future jobs (_when_ I sort out my messed-up DW), as this is now 2-3 cock-ups too many. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When i upgraded my Dreamweaver, i read the message displayed dutring the upgarde and disabled by extensions. Xara doesnt use the extension manager so i removed the extensions via add/remove programs prior to completing the upgrade and then re-installed the extensions after my upgarde and hey presto - no problems whatsoever.

So im my case it was about following the instructions displayed!

With regards to the FAQ, ensure you are accepting cookies from xara.com and you should be able to view the faqs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bb2:

So im my case it was about following the instructions displayed!

With regards to the FAQ, ensure you are accepting cookies from xara.com and you should be able to view the faqs <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did read the instructions and followed them too.

Yes, I am accepting cookies from xara.com... I can view all the FAQS except that one particular one. If someone else is able to view that one, maybe they'd like to post it here so's we can all see it?

Hi, sorry didnt mean to be rude within my last post. I managed to view the information in the faq and have included it below

Why does my Dreamweaver insert menu show WS4DwExObject or similar instead of the proper menu?
    1. go to x:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\Configuration\Menus
    rename the file menus.xml to be named menusold.xml

2. Restart Dreamweaver. If problems continue then

3.Please can you remove the extension from add/remove programs and then delete your temp files

Clean out the Temp directory.
    a. Go to the Start Menu and select Run.
    b. Type cmd and click OK.
    c. In the DOS prompt, type set.
    d. Press Enter.
    e. Find the values for TEMP and TMP. These represent the location of the Temp directory on your computer.
    Go to the location of the Temp directory and delete all files and folders in it.

Then reinstall the extension from http://xara.com/downloads/addins.asp

4. Re-start Dreamweaver. If problems continue then

5. Please view x:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX 2004\Configuration\Menus

here there will be a file named menus.xml please attach this within your reply.

last of all go to x:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\Configuration\Menus
    Within here there will also be a file named menus.xml Please make a copy and name it menusappdata.xml and include it in your reply.

I see what you mean, it is now giving me a blank page too.
    What they wanted you to do was uninstall dreamweaver and xara then reinstall dreamweaver follwed by reinstalling xara.
    Just to let you know I have had it with places that don't offer phone support. The lesson that I have learned is that I will not purchace anything on line, any more, that does not offer valid tech support.LET THE BUYER BEWARE! Be sure that you checkout support before you buy!